Logan 820 Bed Rack & Saddle Issues

58APACHEE

Registered
Registered
I'm rebuilding my Logan 820 lathe. I installed the saddle to the Bed but it seems that the Bed Rack does not engage with the saddle gear (see Pic). Is this normal? I double checked everything on the saddle assembly and the bed assembly, everything seems to me good or at least assembled correctly. the saddle is about .07" lower, can i just shim the rack? or is something off? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20190629_153328.jpg
    20190629_153328.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 29
  • pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    66.7 KB · Views: 30
Here is mine for what it's worth. Definitely engaged. No shims that i know of.
Tim
20190702_214734.jpg20190702_214926.jpg

Maybe its just a trick of the eye but it appears that the OPs Saddle gear is not protruding far enough out! Is there a spacer or lock/locating pin that the op missed which is allowing the gear the be pulled in to far?

One of the first things I usually ask myself is "did it operate properly before I took it apart?", assuming I was the one who did take it to pieces. If so, then what did I miss because clearly this cannot work the way it is now. The gear must engage the rack at some point, either by nature of adjustment or assembly.

I don't think it's usual for a rack to be shimmed, at least not from the factory and not by that much. Has the gear been replaced with one that is too small? Did somebody grind 70-thousandths off the bed ways so now the apron hangs too low? A bit more recent history might be useful to know.

-frank

Tmenyc, thanks, the picture helps out.

Latinrascalrg1, Yea i do believe it is the way i took the picture it does extend far enough just like on Tmenyc's picture.

francist, I did document everything with pictures as i took it apart and the saddle gear on the picture is a replacement. The previous gear did have some "chewed" teeth on it and it did have some shims just poorly installed. I took the saddle of the bed to double check everything but nothing seemed to be machined down but now that you mentioned the bed ways ill check them tonight. I did some research and i did not find anything oon shimming.

Maybe the replacement gear is a different size, should be easy to check that out too if you still have the old one.

-f

i actually matched up the gears before i installed just in case they were different but they were exactly the same.

Maybe try taking the new gear our and using the original gear to see if it engages?

I do have 2 other extra aprons i can try but i could of sworn i compared all 3 and they were all the same. Thanks for the reply!

I do have 2 other extra aprons i can try but i could of sworn i compared all 3 and they were all the same. Thanks for the reply!
My thinking is that if the original gear works then something else is missing/out of alignment, etc. I can just about squeeze a 1/8" piece of a wood paint stirrer between the end of my gear and the lathe bed.

Back