Logan 820: How do I lock the cross-slide and compound?

Friends,
I'm happy to report that my Logan 820 is back in full operation. It turned out that while the uneven gibs screws and worn gib were part of the problem, the main problem turned out to be that the compound rest top (LA683 for the early S/Ns) was not swiveling cleanly on the compound base (LA 691). I was frustrated with my lack of ability to get the new gib strip indented properly with my tools and setup (which are being steadily improved), so took the whole assembly to the friend who found the Logan for me and has a complete shop. He noticed it immediately upon disassembly; and indeed, once pointed out to me, the uneven wear couldn't be missed. He put both top and bottom on his surface grinder, and the disparity became instantly apparent. Once that was fixed, and he ground the swivel bolts down a couple of thou on his belt grinder, it fell together, and works wonderfully now.
Mikey and others, thank you so much for sticking with me on this: I've learned so much, both about dealing with metal and about how to use this wonderful machine. Such a great board and community!

On to the boring bar sleeves Mikey described to me!

Tim

Well, that's good news - I wasn't sure a bad gib would cause the lift you mentioned you were getting, but the uneven base certainly would. Good thing you have a friend with a surface grinder, nice quick fix.

Back