• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Logan 820 rear take up nut

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

vincent52100

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Does anyone know the dia. and thread pitch for the spindle back up nut (the nut on the back side on the spindle on a Logan 820. I think it’s to set the tension on the spindle bearings.). Or the same info for the spindle itself. S/N is 33206 Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Registered
Personally I would grab a mike out of my toolbox or, my calipers and
measure the OD, then get out my trusty thread pitch gauge and find the pitch...
Just sayin'...........That is if you have the part and tools available to do so........

vincent52100

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Funny you should mention that. I have calipers but there is not an auto store or hardware store etc in this town that carries a thread gage. The older gentleman at Auto Zone said that they got rid of all the “old stuff” that we used to be able to find in any auto store. It was hard to find anyone that knew what a thread gage was. They wanted to sell me a feeler gage. So I ended up ordering one.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Yeah, a lot of older people here might be surprised at what can't be bought at so-called auto parts stores these days. The number of people around who can still overhaul/rebuild an engine, gearbox or front and rear axle is much smaller than it was even 20 years back. I don't recall right now what the tool was (and I still haven't found the one that I once had) but I got the same sort of answer recently from a guy who runs a parts store that mainly deals with garages, not the general public.

Campfire

Swarf
Registered
Let me go out and dig around around my old headstock. I should have one that I can measure, and post up in a few minutes.

Campfire

Swarf
Registered
Here we go, (disclaimer) done with Mitutoyo digital guestimate caliper.

Spindle shaft threads OD = 1.288" and the OD of the threads (depth) = 1.253"
Thread pitch = 20 TPI
Nut ID = 1.237" with an OD of the spanner surface of 1.684"
And these are the measurements of the nut on the spindle shaft on the RIGHT SIDE of this picture...

[6]
[5] [7]