Logan 820 Uncatalogued Holes?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For the 820 crowd, in reassembling my cross-feed last night, I noticed two matching holes on the front, one on the cross-feed base and a matching hole an inch above it on the front edge of the compound rest base. These are not in any picture or parts diagram I've seen.
Have these been seen anywhere else?

My theory, since the prior owner was an instructor at NYC's aeronautics high school, and this lathe was his at the school and the school gave it to him when he retired, is that he screwed a plate here to keep people from using the lathe when he wasn't around. Certainly, bolting the compound to the cross-feed would accomplish that...any other ideas?
Tim

Maybe he rigged up a type of threading stop? Some lathes come equipped with them.

-frank

Interesting thought...but the cross-slide, if bolted down, is latitudinally nowhere near center to cut the thread!

Tim

It's not a question of bolting the cross slide down, but more of having a pair of adjustable stops to set a repeatable range of travel. Here's a picture, not the greatest I know, of a similar arrangement.

-frank

Frank -- I think you've nailed it. Here's another image of one. It would have lined up perfectly.
Thanks!

Tim

Back