Logan 820 Write up #1 - Friction Clutch repair

Glad to hear that your old lathe is getting some TLC and attention.
No doubt it is NOT yet used up.

Stick close to those helpful neighbours and return the favours.
Soon you'll be making many wonderful projects.

-brino

CDBEAM,

According to the 800 Series manual, there are three plugs having to do with oiling the apron. The bottom on is of course the drain plug. The front one is for checking the oil level. According to the manual, you pull the front one out and if a little oil does not drip out, you remove the top one and add a little. The top one is probably a headless set screw, not a pipe plug. Look at the photo on Page 10 (PDF file page 12), Item #8 for the approximate location. The text calls it a set screw. However, the text also calls the level check plug Item #9 a set screw. Just don't remove the Filister head screw that attaches the apron to the saddle.

Thank you both. While I am not ANY where near the level of a Old Iron Restoration person, I think I understand the passion and pride involved, and am in awe of those that rescuer a machine from the brink of the scrap yard !

I have just now been reading the debates between Old Iron and New China manufacture. Interesting. In my case, I just could not get the funds together for a 3~5K new machine. That motive was my initial reason. After talking with the PO, seeing his bitter sweet feelings about selling his restored machine, it dawned on my that there was more to this Old Iron purchase than I had imagined ! Well, Indeed, there is more.

I have ordered a replacement Head Stock cover stay (pulled of a Logan 200 machine) and new SS leveling feet. Also on the way is a Machinist level. I am under the impression that a VFD cannot be used on a single phase 110V motor and, anyways, the speed change is SO easy, why should I consider this.

I have yet to replace the Apron oil and appreciate the guidance on the refill procedure.

CDBEAM

Unless you know for certain that the apron is full of some kind of oil, I hope that you have not been running the machine.

Currently the apron reservoir has a new addition of Mobil 80W-90. You previously recommended SAE 10 ( as specified in the Logan manual )
I have yet to change this out. I have NOT operated the machine as I am waiting on a Machinist level and SS leveling feet to arrive next week.
In the meantime, I will read up on what the difference is between 8OW-90 vs. SAE 10 oil. My Machinist neighbor sez he only uses 80W-90....and he has many, many, many machines. Thank you for the guidance.
CDBEAM

I've never owned a Logan. I just reported what the factory recommended. FWIW, SAE Gear 80W overlaps SAE20 and SAE30 Engine in absolute terms. Where Logan recommended SAE10, Atlas did also in the early years and switched to recommending SAE20 in the later years. I've not paid any attention to what other contractors recommend.

Well, For now I will leave the Gear Oil in. If problems arise, will change out to SAE10 oil.

SS Leveling feet arrived today. Am waiting on a Machinist Level. Chips SOON ! CDBEAM

At least you know that the gear oil is new and clean.

Be glad you do not have an early Logan with the cone style clutch...it is a ***** to get working correct....

I have always used vactra way oil in Logan (and for that matter every brand) aprons. Some machines have pumps in the apron to lubricate the ways and cross slide so way oil is necessary.

Back