Logan 9B bearing issue

Makintrax73

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi, I'll try to make it short....

Logan 9B. 1950's. Working on a project and noticed some noise/vibration. Went to turn the spindle by hand. It felt almost like it was binding up then letting go, then you'd feel it catch and let go a few times per rotation, then nothing, then come back. Basically an increase in torque needed to turn it, then gone. Perhaps a little noise, but not metal on metal or gritty feeling like metal shavings would be. If you let it sit for a few minutes it would be hard to start by hand then spin more freely.

I cannot discern any lateral play in the spindle.

I took the front bearing cover off and let some light oil try to seep into the bearing. Seemed to help. Let it sit. Put the cover back on. This morning when I woke up the bearings feel totally normal.

So I'm at a loss what's going on here. My first thought is these are perm lubed bearings maybe the lube has broken down over time, gotten hard, and is intermittently rubbing on the rollers. Anyone experience anything like this?

I ordered new bearings from Logan. $220 yikes. Frankly I'm a little hesitant to dig into it for fear of breaking something taking it apart. :confused:

220$ is actually quite reasonable for Logan bearings. They'll be more expensive in a few years.
I tend to agree with you, old dried out lube that's turned into paste- bearings are probably fine (your wallet not withstanding)
-Mark

$220 isn't that bad for spindle bearings. Is it in the same spot in rotation? Could you have a chip stuck in a gear somewhere and that was causing them to bind?

$220 isn't that bad for spindle bearings. Is it in the same spot in rotation? Could you have a chip stuck in a gear somewhere and that was causing them to bind?

Yes, I did check to see if it was in the same spot. It wasn't. The "catch" was entirely random. For a while it was multiple times per rotation, then changed, then eventually disappeared.

Well, if it's gone, no need to worry about it. :)

The grease in mine was dried up as well. I pulled the bearings, removed the shields, washed them out, and repacked them. If yours are like mine, they are shielded, but not sealed.

The grease in mine was dried up as well. I pulled the bearings, removed the shields, washed them out, and repacked them. If yours are like mine, they are shielded, but not sealed.

Thanks that's very good to know. Seem to have smoothed out after trying to get the edge to suck some oil so I think that's the deal.

I got the new bearings from Logan. Probably should have waited but nothing wrong with back ups on hand. I put an indicator on my chuck this morning and putting good force on the chuck sideways I only get a little under .001" movement.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Back