Logan and Craftsman?

JohnCT

Registered
Registered
I have a 40's vintage Logan 200, it works as much as I can make it work, and I also have an older Craftsman 6" lathe that runs, but needs a few parts.

Is it worth investing time in the Craftsman to get it up and running? Will the Logan do everything the Craftsman will? I'm guessing with the Logan running the Craftsman would just take up space and I really only need one tool if one will do the job. I don't have any huge jobs planned or any particular projects in mind.

My first lathe was a 6" Craftsman which I replaced with a Logan 200. Once I got the Logan up and running, the 618 just gathered dust and
I sold it a few weeks ago. Without knowing what you do with your lathe, it's hard to say what would be best for you, but for me it was the
obvious choice. Besides, if you sell the Craftsman, then you can use the $$$ to buy more tools for the Logan!

You're asking these guys and girls if one lathe is enough..think the majority is gonna say one is never enough ..two is better but three isn't too many.haha

You're asking these guys and girls if one lathe is enough..think the majority is gonna say one is never enough ..two is better but three isn't too many.haha

True, but if the OP wants two, he should buy bigger and then the Logan becomes the "small" lathe. :)

OK, please explain why I would want or need more then one? Is there something one can do that the other can not, or is it just kind of the old tool collector thing to have more then one? I think I would be better served with a small milling machine instead of 2 lathes.
So far I made parts to repair a spinnaker pole. No clue what I'll do in the future. I didn't plan to actually own either one, they ended up in my truck one day. I have a wood shop and space is already limited.

OK, please explain why I would want or need more then one? Is there something one can do that the other can not, or is it just kind of the old tool collector thing to have more then one? I think I would be better served with a small milling machine instead of 2 lathes.
So far I made parts to repair a spinnaker pole. No clue what I'll do in the future. I didn't plan to actually own either one, they ended up in my truck one day. I have a wood shop and space is already limited.

I'm very new to this and only have one lathe myself and a small one at that. However I have seen many comment on the convenience of having a second machine to do different work on. Say for example you were making several widgets that required turning and threading. You could do the turning operations on one machine and do the threading on the other instead of having to switch out the machine set ups for each operation.

Definitely seems to be a bit if a luxury rather than necessity, but I can see where that would be nice to have and not only a justification to collect more machines.

If I found a really good deal on a second Sherline, I'd give serious thought to getting one just for doing threading. Of course that would require little more room than a shoe box so not really a space issue.

Sounds like you're a wood working guy branching out into metal working.you'll figure out what machines work or don't work out for you .each machine you choose will open new doors .

Wants are one thing. Needs are another. A commonly held view around here is that you can never have enough tools or
machines.

I think I've actually come to the point that I have enough lathes. Actually I have one more than I need or want. I have a 13"x56" Sheldon, a 9"x60" Seneca Falls, And 1 6"x26" Craftsman. The Craftsman was given to me in boxes. I had fun reassembling it and making the parts necessary to get it running. Now that it's complete it's going to my brothers house. He has 2 grandsons that love to make things. They're both to young to use the machine so Grandpa will most likely be showing the boys how to use it rather than letting them use it at this point.

Hopefully when it leaves I'll have an easier time getting through the shop. My wife says it looks more like an obstacle course rather than a work shop.

i was satisfied with my 14" metosa eng lathe and 9" turret lathe but a 9" logan was offered to me for $200 so i couldn't turn it down. i use it more than i thought i would - for small, simple jobs that i don't have to mess up a more important setup on another machine

i would hate to have to thread on it - dealing with changing the gearing tho'

Back