Logan follower rest

richz

Active User
Registered
I have a Logan Model 6560 14X40 lathe and I am in need of a follower rest. Would like to try and make my own. Does anyone have one that could post some pictures and dimensions. Need to get this done so I can start making the lead screw for the cross slide.

The Logan 6500 series instructions and parts list PDF has a diagram for the follower with the part numbers labeled. Using the center height and the measurement between the two mounting screws, the dimensions could be inferred.

I purchased an unknown 14" follower rest off ebay and drilled new mounting holes. Had to bandsaw off some of the base so it would fit between the ways of my 6560, as the machine it came from had a much lower mounting point.

I don't think the dimensions of the follower rest, aside from those I mentioned, are that critical. People make them out of bed frames, aluminum, plywood.

Thanks for the reply ThinWoodsman. I have the manual and have a good idea on the layout. I was trying to make the follower as close to original as possible. I printed out a picture of it and blew it up to match the center line of the follower at 7". I was trying to determine the width and how the guide arms are supported. I don't have a steady rest yet(found a used one which I should have late next week) to get an idea on the width and how the guide arm are supported.

I'll measure the width of the steady that came with mine, and of the follower I modified, when I am in the shop later tonight. I recall it being roughly 1.5" for the follower, likely more for the steady.

Looking at the one Logan sells, the fingers ride in slots in the casting, and are thick enough that the set-screws probably end in a blind unthreaded hole. The one I purchased is far more complicated - this one looks pretty easy to replicate, though you'll have the get creative with a replacement for the base casting.

Both rests have a larger base than bottom.
Non-logan follower: 7/8" at the top (where the fingers are), 1 1/2" at the bottom.
Logan (I think) steady: 1 3/8" at the top, 2 1/4" at the base. Fingers are 1x1/2" stock, 3" long.

Last edited:
Note that the photo is of a Steady Rest, not a Follow/Follower/Traveling Rest. And that there are several different ways of both making and mounting the fingers/jaws.

Google
Frank Ford follow rest. He made a neat one.

I like Frank Ford's follow rest, and had plans to make one. During the design phase, I realized how fiddly it was going to be - being mounted to the QCTP, you cannot retract the cross-slide (meaning you have to do a reverse-gear pass, which on my threaded spindle lathe is not ideal), and all adjustments when turning down diameters have to be done right there close to the tool-workpiece interface.

I haven't fully rejected the idea yet, but I am considering using a box tool in the 3/4" QCTP boring bar holder instead. Many of the same limitations, and probably much better for threading.

Last edited:
You might like what I call a moving steady rest . Or not a follow rest. It’s on this site .
it is my design and it rides in front of the cutting tool. And you can move the cross slide and it still supports the stock on center.
Jimsehr

I bolted a plate to the chuck side of the cross slide. Then put a drill in the spindle and drilled a hole. Using this hole as centerline I moved to the mill and made 3 adjustable rollers to center stock.

Last edited:
Back