[How do I?] Logan lathe compound dissasembly

Grizzlyprototypes

Registered
Registered
Hello!
First time poster here, I recently purchased a Logan 1875 lathe and am giving it a much needed clean, but I ham having trouble removing the lead screw from the compound. I have tried extending and retracting it fully with no luck. I have taken off the hand wheel and all accompanying nuts, the dial, and the gib. Am I missing anything?
compound.jpg

One other disassembly issue is with one of the 3-jaw chucks that came with the lathe. I was able to open the back, but I was unable to figure out how the driving gears are removed so I can finish taking it apart. Each gear seems to have a set screw with a long smooth shaft at the end, once I removed that the gears could wiggle a bit but would not come out.

chuck square drive.jpgchuck drive gear.jpg

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have never seen a Logan but if you remove that round piece at the end of the compound that is on the shaft you may find a plate holding a bearing in place. Sure to be some Logan owners with the correct answer.
With the chuck you are correct in that the long set screws with the plain shaft hold the gears in place. Sometimes there can be a bit of a burr around the exterior of the hole from being banged with the chuck key. Clean out what old grease you can and tap out with a Brass drift. Rotate the gear as you work it. Once those gears are out you can knock the scroll plate out, the scroll plate can have tight spots as well once moved from where it lives.

In order to get the screw out you need to separate the upper and lower compound parts from one another. It looks as though
yours is different from mine so it's a bit unclear on details, but if you loosen the gibs and run the compound all the way to the end
you should be able to separate the brass "nut" from the screw. A picture from the top might help as well.

Take a look at this parts manual....scroll down to page U8 and you will see a drawing of it. Just behind the crank there is a threaded bushing LA 74B. If you don't have a pin spanner to put in the hole you show in your photo, put in a dowel pin or pin punch the same size or a bit smaller. Then with another punch and hammer hit it counter clockwise, Then unscrew it and unscrew the feed shaft. Then take out set screw 0310 and push the brass nut down with a screw driver where LA 74B was. I can't see the end of the compound, you maybe able to just slide the 2 - 1/2's apart. If nut push the nut down until you can slide them apart. If it is stuck you may have to drill and tap a 3/8 hole in the nut and use a slide hammer or jack screw to pull it out. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2093/6507.pdf If the drawing helps, donate some $ to Vintage Machinery, as the really help serve the machining community with there manuals.

Back