Logan Model 200 Servo Threading

I was wondering how you planned to put a stepper motor in there and still be able to close the door. Great job packaging all the hardware.

Please let us know how the NEMA 23 motor works out for moving the carriage under cutting loads.

Beautiful install! I would love to install this on the tailstock end of my SB 10K.
R

so what would you estimate the cost/difficulties of getting a set up like that for a person that doesn't know an arduino from an ar$ehole
Lol, my dad used to say arse. That made me laugh.

so what would you estimate the cost/difficulties of getting a set up like that for a person that doesn't know an arduino from an ar$ehole

Quick estimate, about $350 in parts (motor/controller/encoder/microcontroller, miscellaneous electronic bits, pulleys and belts, enclosures etc.). Some things you have to buy in multiples, and I'm probably forgetting something, so make it $400 for materials. Of course I've spent a lot more than that in development costs. I've got a pile of spare electronics, a number of encoders, and quite an assortment of timing belts and pulleys at this point.

I've got a fair number of hours into programming the microcontroller and display. I've been working on it evenings and weekends since late November. It's been a significant effort. Lots of fun, but I've made a career doing this kind of R&D for nearly 40 years now. It's impossible for me to estimate the degree of difficulty for a novice.

I'm considering putting this together as a kit, but there is a lot to consider. I could shave some cost. It might make sense to contract out some fabrication. There is packaging and shipping. I would have to support it. And then there's the big one --- liability.

I did a respiratory monitor for a retired anesthesiologist years ago. He had the patents on half the ventilators in North America and Europe, and his liability insurance was costing him $250k a year. Lord knows what it would be now. He told me that his rule of thumb was that the "retail" cost had to be a minimum of 5X the build cost. I haven't consulted a lawyer on the limits of my liability, even if all I offered was a download. I assume that I would have to set up an LLC.

I still have to get it properly installed and a considerable amount of due diligence to make sure it's rock-solid. Bottom line, I might have to charge $1500 for a kit. Maybe I could do the download for $200, maybe I could kit the hardware for $500, maybe I could offer all three options. I would still have to support it, and there would still be liability. Even if I post it to GitHub and give it away there's liability.

All that, and I don't know how big the market is. I can't imagine selling more than 100 kits to Logan owners. Shoot, I probably couldn't sell 100 downloads! I might be able to broaden the appeal by doing versions for other lathes, but I don't know enough about what's out there. The Model 200 happens to be the perfect candidate for this. Anybody have suggestions for other non-gearbox machines? Or maybe there would be interest in an outboard version that would drive the other end of the leadscrew with the QCGB disengaged. Still have to get an encoder on the spindle, though.

Sorry, I thought that this was going to be a short post. Back to the shop!

-Jon

well the 700 that I have is very similar to the 200...not even sure what the difference is other then mine was made for wards... I cant see why there would be big liability....with a respirator your talking someones life with this your talking a piece of steel with messed up threads. if your looking to market this and become a millionare theres prbly not enough interested logan people out there...if your wanting to help out fellow logan owners and make a slight profit then maybe.. at 1500 I wouldn't even think of it.. and im sure moston here are with me on that!

Back