Logan Powermatic issue with belts turning

pburgh

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
This is my first post for the Logan Powermatic model 1110008L00H that I recently purchased. Once i got it home and set it up, the spindle isn't spinning freely. I want to take the belt off of the motor sheave to be sure that the motor is not having an issue turning. But, I'm not sure how to get the belt off without loosening some bolts, which i'd rather not do. The manual describes using the speed control to do this, but if the motor won't turn i'm in a catch 22. i'm semi-handicapped, so i can't get in a position on the floor to be very effective in removing parts to do some minor troubleshooting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the lower belt without causing more work than it's worth? Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Doug

Got any pics?
I'm not completely clear on what you need.
My old Logan Powermatic had a simple lever to release flat belt tension.
This is clearly not your situation.

Daryl
MN

I don't have any good ones. My wife took some pictures of the upper mechanism but they don't give a very clear picture of how it works. Plese see below. When I turn the spindle/chuck by hand there is some resistance. When I ran the lathe before I bought it, it ran fine. Once I got it home and set up it's not turning as freely. We were careful in moving it and setting it up. Looks like it has the original motor and I wanted to make sure that it ran freely by itself. That's why I want to remove the belt. Interestingly, when I move the chuck by hand and turn the speed control slightly it frees up a bit, but not enough. I was going to remove the hand wheel and plate from the front, but before I do anything I wanted to see if that was maybe not a good move.

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

Hey Daryl,
I can see if I can get some better pics tomorrow. There is a pretty heavy yoke that has some slotted holes for adjustment, but I wouldn't want to loosen those if there is an easier way. I'd have trouble getting it back in place, without some help.
Regards,
Doug

Daryl,
Here are some more pics of the setup. I hope this gives a better idea on the speed control.

Thanks,
Doug

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

Back