Logan purchase thoughts.

north1

Registered
Registered
Listed as 10x24. Comes with three jaw chuck, quick change tool post, drill chuck, and wired for 110V. Looks like cheesy paint job. Maybe a model 1875? Is 400 miles away but am wearing down trying to find old iron in my area. Wants $2,000.00.AEA23859-B2D3-4B0D-A460-8304EF5D9C5A.pngBAD43B72-A0E2-40BD-A1CC-2A1DA1B4D4FF.png

Nice machine and parts are pretty much available, so go for it if it's the right price for you. I think it's a little high, but you are in N. Dakota.

I does look like the seller spruced it up with some paint on the headstock. At $2000 bucks it seems high
priced to me, particularly since it doesn't come with much in the way of tooling, but I don't know what prices
in your part of the country are like. Did you talk with the seller? I would want more information before I drove
400 miles.

Agree with the previous posters - for $2K I bought a Logan 14x40 last year that came with a ton of tooling. But I am not in North Dakota, and smaller machines tend to cost more (per inch of swing?) because most people have enough room for them.

If it's the size of machine you want, and it appears to be in good condition (ways, leadscrew, etc) then might as well end the search and grab it.

Sometimes a bit higher price is good; it scares some of the tire-kickers away and buys you some extra time. Looks like the toolpost may be one size too big for the machine?
See if it comes with a steady rest or a 4-jaw chuck

What they said. And you can always offer something less, say $1400 or so. If seller is offended and hangs up, take your $2000 to somewhere there is lots of machines for sale. Take your pickup and rent a Uhaul to get it home.

That might be a model 825, which is a really nice, competent machine. I had one but it was so worn out that I ended up selling it and getting a larger machine.

There is no way I would drive 400 miles based on the 2 pictures you posted. I would request many more pictures with very clear shots of the bed, spindle, gears etc. before I drove 400 miles to look at it in person! Like stated above it is obviously a recent repaint... and there is no telling how good of a job they even did repainting it from the pictures provided.

Thank you for all your responses and info. After plotting out the trip it is more like 520 miles. Still going to call this evening and try to get as much info as possible. It really is burdensome to find a metal lathe in my area of the country. So very few for sale privately or at auction close. Even searching into Canada(only 20 miles from border). Finding that Canada has less available then south of border. Seems the only possibility for old iron is buying site unseen and rolling the dice.

I would pass on that machine with no tooling and a hide-the-abuse-and-rust paint job glopped on.

Since there are so few machines available close to you, expand your search to nationwide. These can be shipped from anywhere. Fastenal does third party shipping at extremely low rates. Look for a machine that is in excellent condition, with a comprehensive list of tooling.

We have a Fastenal only 45 miles from me so I will definitely check into that. Thanks.

Back