Logan purchase thoughts.

Keep an eye out for used Standard Modern lathes. I believe the smallest one is 13" x 36" or perhaps 13" x 40"
Nice machines, Canadian made
they are common to see for sale here in Canada. most have come out of schools and have seen the utmost of abuse.. and they are large!!! usually you only see them on the auctions after a school has closed though

One thing to try is posting a "wanted" ad on Craigslist. You never know which one of your neighbors has something nice sitting in storage that they want to sell. Guys do it all the time for old cars and motorcycles, no reason not to try for a lathe. Just post up some pictures so people who don't even know what they have can respond.

John

If spending that much for a lathe, try getting one that's well-tooled and preferably with 5C collet capability.

they are common to see for sale here in Canada. most have come out of schools and have seen the utmost of abuse.. and they are large!!! usually you only see them on the auctions after a school has closed though

There were 3-4 South Bend 9A's that went for ~$500 a few months ago on the bcauction site. I got one for 450 with almost zero wear.

I have a very similar 10 x 24 Logan 1825 that I bought about 3 years ago for $800 and then spent about $800 getting it up to snuff and tooled up. it needed some gears in the QCGB and tooling. Tooling adds up very quickly, although, the acquisition costs can be spread out as needed. The Logans are nice little lathes. I like my Logan 10" lathe, but for that kind of money, $2000, I would be locking for a lathe with a bigger spindle, maybe an 11" swing and that would take 5C collets.

Yeah, what ever happened to the OP? Still lathe-less in North Dakota?

Back