Logan Tailstock Turret question

The more I think about this the more I would agree with someone else's post. I have a turret tail stock, seen in my avatar photo...

Richard,

Minor point but you also have a bed turret. A turret tailstock looks like a lever-operated tailstock with a turret on the left end of the ram and stop screws on the right end. Atlas made both types. Logan may not have and may have called their bed turret a turret tailstock but shouldn't have.

Mine has "1043 FOR LOGAN LATHE" stamped on it. So it is called a bed turret? Not heard that term, I have always refereed to them as turret tail stocks... Now I know...Thanks

I looked in catalog and saw Logan sold both bed turrets and tailstock turrets. Also saw they would sell bed turrets with holes bored if you bought them from Logan or they would sell bed turrets where they were blank holes so you could drill and bore them on the machine they were used on. I don’t think Logan made the tailstock turrets.

Yes, the turrets that have been discussed here are in their catalogs also called bed turrets. Logan also sold a tailstock turret but as Jim opined, probably didn't make it. Atlas sold a similar one but also probably didn't make it (could have, judging by the photograph, been the same one). It is a lighter turret mounted to a 2MT arbor, and could be mounted in the standard tailstock ram. I have one, and it takes 5/8" shank diameter tooling. But Atlas also sold a dedicated tailstock turret that was heavier and was lever operated, with six adjustable stop screws on the back end. It takes either 3/4" or 1" tooling.

Back to the bed turrets, they are advanced by a long handled wheel (capstan wheel??) that drives a gear that engages the carriage drive rack. A 1953 Logan catalog says that the same turret model number was used on the 10", 11" and 12" lathes. I assume that you had to specify which lathe when you ordered it, as the turret height would have had to change to match the lathes. If the 10" bed turret is still being considered, I would figure out what model it is and call Logan and find out what part has to change in order to convert it to 11". Atlas, if they no longer supply a part but still have the drawing, will email you a copy if you ask nicely. I haven't heard that Logan would do the same. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Back