Logan taper attchment

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
Just found the 2 end pcs of an original Logan Taper attachment... What are the odds of finding the bar and slide part? I have the cover of the cross slide...

Figured the ends pcs to be a coup...LOL

I've bought and sold a lot of logans. Never had one with the taper attachment. Had a couple that had the cross slide covers for it. I think you're going to need a lot of patience. If I happen to run across any parts I'll keep you in mind. Good luck

Richard,

Although I've seen a few, I've never owned a Logan. So I'm not particularly familiar with accessory availability. However, I expect as Chuck implied that taper attachments are scarce. There are a lot more Atlas lathes around than Logans and the taper attachment is probably second only to the tool post grinder in its rarity. However, two things - first, on the Logans, the cross slide has to be changed out in order to use the factory taper attachment. and second, looking at the drawings, the two pieces that you found are likely the most difficult to make from scratch. We happen to have drawings made of the Atlas taper attachment. And from the catalog photograph of the Logan unit, I see no reason why the Atlas one wouldn't fit the Logan lathe. The only two things that you would have to do are probably minor height adjustments to the slide. And adapt the bar that sits on top of the slide and attaches to and drives the cross slide in or out to the standard Logan cross slide. On the Atlas, the push-pull bar attaches to the cross slide in the hole where the screw attaching the cross slide nut normally goes plus the tapped hole for the screw that normally attaches the cross feed screw cover or guard. Anyway, take a look. The drawings are in the Atlas-Craftsman section of Downloads.

I have a 11" Logan and I'm planning on building my own taper attachment. Mr Pete cast a few cross slide end part. And he sold me the spare casting , I'm figuring on using a a rod and boxed bearing as the taper, stand offs ill build and the adjustable part I plan on using graduation plus a micrometer head for fine adjustments. I think it'll be 24" - 30" at most but I think I could go up to 36"" between centers . Really if you think about it it's pretty easy to build one.

If you lengthen the angle setting bar significantly, you might want to use "T" or "I" section bar instead of just flat bar to maintain the same stiffness. And you will have to re-calculate the setting scale.

Note that if you increase the bar length you will decrease the maximum angle that it can cut. I don't recall what that is with the stock unit but just be sure that you don't decrease the range so much that you can't cut a 3MT.

You say the cross slide needs changed out? or do you me the cross slide cover? I cobbled a taper attachment, but it had been so many years since I had seen one of this older style there were some fairly important features that were forgotten. Thankfully since finding these side pcs no one will even know of my silliness..lol

If you add adjustable slots on both ends of the attachment it will cut them to any degree . Just the need is all not to many tapers are called for that can't be done on standard attachments.

You say the cross slide needs changed out? or do you mean the cross slide cover? I cobbled a taper attachment, but it had been so many years since I had seen one of this older style there were some fairly important features that were forgotten. Thankfully since finding these side pcs no one will even know of my silliness..lol
Richard,

Apparently the whole cross slide. If you will go to Downloads, find Logan & Wards, open it, open the Catalogs folder and open and look at page 11 of the 1953 catalog, you will see a photo of a Logan taper attachment with a long slotted extension sticking out and over the top of the taper attachment slide. Text doesn't say whether it is for 10", 11" or 12" but apparently they all look similar. When I first saw that I assumed that the taper attachment came with a longer replacement for the cross slide screw cover. But later, someone had what they called an odd looking cross slide and it turns out that the slotted extension is a part of the cross slide. I don't recall whether someone recognized it or he called Logan but it turned out that it was the special taper attachment cross slide. The text in the catalog does say that the cross slide becomes a permanent part of the lathe.

I see the cross slide "greyed out" but the cover is not, so that is how I saw that as needing just the cover.... I actually have that manual and that is what I am going by as in deciding what I need. There are only 2 screws holding the original cover on and I have often wondered if that was enough when machining to hold it all together...
I will probably modify the current cover that I made to be a tad more rigid and just go from there..

I thought the same thing until the member came across one of the taper attachment cross slides. What I would suggest is to make a slotted puller bar similar to the one used on the Atlas and somehow attach it to the standard cross slide. On the Atlas, the screw cover is removable (one screw) and the cross slide nut is attached to the cross slide by one screw in a hole that is 3/8" dia. thru (a short post on top of the brass nut fits up into the hole). There are three tapped holes in the puller bar for leveling screws and one hole for the screw that was retaining the cover. All of that would have to be adjusted to fit the Logan. The parts drawings are in the Atlas lathe accessories folder in Downloads.

Back