Logan taper attchment

If you guys want to see it done both ways , YouTube videos by Mr Pete the shop teacher shows adding on and the full replacement type cross slide . And you do have to remove the slide screw when taper cutting .. That's how I bought his extra casting for my logan. Watch and learn he's quite a guy.

Well, I wanted to make things right and I got to smile this weekend...

Visited the fellow that sold me the 2 parts of an original Logan Taper attachment. He was showing me his lathe and I spotted the way cover was made for the taper attachment that he had sold me. I asked if we could swap covers and he agreed.
I was quite surprised when I realized that his way cover was one whole piece, just as you fine folks stated it should be.

The cover is the cross slide as well, so he agreed to allow me swap parts out, which I will do in April when we have our meeting at his place.

Now if I can just find the other parts...I will look much harder in April.

This is good!

After looking at several catalogs and reading comments from several people, I've come to the conclusion that Logan never made what on any other badge would be the missing part(s).

So does anyone have the taper attachment for the 10 inch Logan's? Looking for the length of the bar. I now have a Bridgeport in the shop, so I should have little trouble making what I need, just need to know the length of an original.

Thanks

Richard

So no one here has an original Taper attachment for a 10 inch Logan Model 820 lathe?
I don’t have a Logan 820 but I do have a Model 1955 which is a 11” lathe . It has an original Logan taper attachment . I bought the TA new old stock with the original paper work . It was an unopened box from 1955 . You can see it on page 4 about four entries down on the Show Us Your Logan thread .

The bar is 19 1/2 “ long . I hope this helps....Steve

Steve, thanks,

While the 2 lathes were pretty close to identical, I suppose with that info i could make a bar, and test the taper to see how far off it would be...
Downside would be if I am wrong, I would need to trig it out to make any corrections...
Add to that, if you notice I use a Turret bed stock and the one end of the taper attachment will NOT attach past that point...I am contemplating modifying it so that I can thread on a taper... I messaged the guys on the Logan Facebook page...Not sure I will get an answer.... even offered to buy one if available...the bar only that is...

Richard

Richard,

First, if you have a true bed turret, you shouldn't have a carriage. If you have a turret tailstock, it can reach over the carriage so long as you back the cross slide up to the front of the lathe. Did you post a photo of your lathe in some other thread?

Goto the Show us your Logan Lathe, page 3, 4th thread from the bottom... that shows what I bought and what I did to it... that was 3 years ago, and I use it, probably more than what a hobby lathe should be used, but.... Still holds the tolerances I want, just want to thread on a taper now... I can pay someone on a CNC lathe to do it faster but what fun is that! Or you can click on my avatar on the left here...

Last edited:
Back