Long Chang LC-30 CNC conversion

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
Well with advice from this forum, I now have x-axis CNC working, Y and Z still to come. It was easier than I expected.

I have not had time to optimize the motor speed yet, however it's quite accurate (< 0.001" on test runs of 6" travel). I'm still using the original ACME screw with a lot of backlash, so when I change direction the errors do accumulate, typically by about 0.001" per change, will need to see if I can tweak it a bit.

I get most of my metal from the scrap metal recycler ($1 per pound) so the 1/2" plate I used for the bracket was a bit rough but does the job.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

BTW Motion Industries provided the belts and gears (two thumbs up), exceptional customer service.

20170722_202634.jpg

20170728_103052.jpg

Attachments

• 20170728_103555.mp4
    11.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This is a round column mill like the RF-30? I want to convert my RF-30 to CNC. I make bullet molds on my lathe and mill and it would be nice to be able to cut the cavity on the mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a round column mill like the RF-30? I want to convert my RF-30 to CNC. I make bullet molds on my lathe and mill and it would be nice to be able to cut the cavity on the mill.

FYI, this thread is about 3 years old, so you might not get a reply from the OP (original poster). Jim Dawson (rhymes with awesome) is a monitor here and will probably chime in on your thread asking for "where to start". I bought ready-made machines (Tormach and Bridgeport), so can't offer you much advise. You'll likely need things like ball screws for the table, servo or stepper motors for each axis, a controller card like a Centroid Acorn, drivers for the axis motors, maybe a new spindle motor to put it under CNC control, a controlling computer/laptop, etc.

Forum member "macardoso" did a wonderful job posting his "journey", though not on a Rong Fu mill. For the life of me I can't find his post but with a little digging you should be able to find it. Member "cooter brown" did a nice build on a Bridgeport, you can hit his thread and it'll give you an idea of what is involved.

Bruce

I have a Long Chang mill exactly like the OP’s.
It is a very close facsimile of an RF-30.

Back