Long, loose clothing + reaching over lathe spindle = Manhandler

That's the kind of stuff we go to, 40 years of memories I don't want:ghost:. Happy to be retired, I'm used to working on the lathe now, but it took 2 years, and I still have not done any work over 1000 RPM

Reactions: tjb
I’ll bet he didn’t wake up that morning and think that a lathe would have its way with him.

Be careful out there people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you perhaps add the link,I can't seem to open it.

My wife was in the Navy aboard a tender. Mid 80's. North Atlantic, in heavy seas. Tenders repair other ships, and as such carry sheet steel for hull and bulkhead repairs. Generally it is stowed in passageways (hallways, to landlubbers!), secured to the bulkheads (walls). People walk up and down these passageways on a regular basis. During one roll of the ship, some securing straps gave way, and the sheet steel tipped over onto some personnel. Fortunately, the passageway was somewhat narrower than the steel, so the people didn't get completely squashed. There were some bumps and bruises, however, and not a few had to go to their berthing area to change clothes. 6 or 8 pieces of 1/2" steel will do that to you. It was determined (I think), that necessary safety inspections had not been completed on some of the securing devices; just a cursory examination, and not per the specifications. The unexpected can happen, but attention to detail and awareness of surroundings can mitigate most of the mishaps. zuhnc

These videos are good reminders to not get complacent. Stumbled across a new one from mother Russia the other day. It’s not pretty. Lathe, steady rest, long sleeves, and brain matter on the ceiling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's horrible and sad stuff,asspecialy for the people left behind and even worse if they make the find. But I also think we need to see these type of video to keep us alert and alive. PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYONE. Always think ahead of what can happen. We love what we are doing and have respect for our machines, but we must remember that they are machines and they don't care,as said before. Be safe.

I had a shop teacher who said in the 1st day of his classes to every class, that every machine and tool ever made wants to kill you.
From the 1st rock or stick that a human picked as used as a tool to the most sophisticated modern computer controlled robotic machines made.
They all want to kill you if you let them.

Back