Long stock whipping in spindle

In the past I have just drilled a hole in a piece of timber and clamped that at the right height to a saw horse. Lots of temporary ways to fix that problem

Cheers Phil

Phil,

In my opinion your solution is a simple and expeditious solution that I hope I will remember when needed.

Thanks,
Kevin J

My dad was a high school shop teacher for 30 years. Only had 2 kids get hurt during that time. One was with this situation, student had something like a 3/8" steel rod chucked up with 3' sticking out of the head stock. He had "V" cradles made up from the welding class; base was a cross of channel, vertical steel pipe with a nut welded at the top, used a bolt to lock to a vertically adjustable piece of pipe fit inside the one with the base welded to it. There was a "V" welded at the top, couple of pieces of 1" CRS rounds. Idea was to set the support under the stock and adjust the height, then start the lathe at slow speed (he had Clausing 5914's in the shop, variable speed) and take it up to speed. The student didn't use the outboard support and had the rod do a 90 bend and whopped him in the shoulder, lucky it didn't hit him in the head. He had a nice bruise. My dad said the lathe was vibrating across the floor until he hit the master power switch.

Bruce

Mounted on the bench behind my lathe is an old small drill press. that has a slide on table to hold the to hand tools. it also serves as a tapping jig---
Work steady using the fixed steady from the lathe ---mount for the dividing head when I need to index the lathe chuck.

P1013429.JPG
Swing out table

P1013427.JPG
Tapping jig

P1013428.JPG
Steady

7-set up for cutting rachets.JPG
Dividing head mount

Brian.

at the back of the spindle we used to wrap duct tape around the part ind insert into the spindle bore keeps it very still in a pinch bill

Back