LONG TIME MODELER GETS THE LATHE BUG

For reals?
Yup. Just timed a lap and did the math. Standard 60’ lines. Actually I think we had some kind of plastic protractor calculator. Been a LOT of years since then.

I put it down and that afternoon had it sold on Craigslist. I've since moved onto the smaller eFlite and Blade electric birds.
Good move. After seeing what my uncle went through no way was I going to mess with a copter. Drones are a whole nuther kettle o fish. When my uncle passed my cousins asked me what I wanted, his UglyStick or Kavan Ranger. UglyStick hands down, that Ranger was my uncles Waterloo. And he was NEVER bested until that thing....

For reals?
At the time the Torpedo 35 was not at all a common engine. The best engine was the SuperTigre G21 35. It just oozed class and was expensive. We had come up with Johnson 29’s. Highly polished and modified. We had the only Torpedo in the club and it was only because of the incident I mentioned earlier. The original owner had it on a speed plane. Everybody knew it was a beast but it was totally odd. The regular KB 35 was plain bearing, the Torpedo was all ball bearing. The plain bearing was used a lot by the stunt guys along with Enya’s. They were reliable but not a beast. The Johnson’s turned about 90mph, the ST a little better than 100mph and everybody that was more than fast enough.

in hindsight it took my young silliness to even take on that engine and my brothers hyper reaction time to make that thing work. The Torpedo was odd that is had almost no static compression. If I’d not seen it run I would have thought it junk. All other engines that’s how I kinda gauged the, by compression. And how it held compression. The Torpedo had little when you turned it over and held none. But NOBODY would start that thing by hand. I always used a Chicken Stick. When you primed it and lit the glowplug all the sudden it was a bomb. I have no idea if that’s the way it came from the factory or what, but it just screamed.

For reals?
And that was back in the good old days, A modern fast combat plane is in the 140 to 150 actual MPH range.

There are radio control planes getting close to 550 actual MPH. It may be surprising that they don't even have an engine, they are gliders. Planes with engines are actually slower.

The fastest powered model is ONLY 450 MPH

These are both records recognized by Guinness World Records.

The fastest CL aircraft are around 225 MPH. 7 laps with 60ft lines is almost exactly 1/2 mile. That makes the math easy.

With a fast combat plane, directly over head is as far away from the ground as you can get, any direction from there is straight down, at the speeds they fly it will be in the ground in less than 1/4 of a second if you cant decide which way to pull out.

Last edited:
Taxiing my 123" wingspan Sukhoi this weekend.

May23flight.jpg

A quick photo, year 4 underway building my 144" Piper Cub. It will take me 5 years at least.

20210511_215732.jpg

Back