• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Long vs short horizontal arbor

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I am still new to horizontal milling and would like to know why I may want to use one length of arbor over the other. I currently have a 6” and 12” arbor with 1” outside diameters.

My VN no 10 mill only has a 6” wide bed and I currently use a Kurt D40 vise for most milling. The table is sufficient to clamp workpieces to directly.

I recently picked up a lot of 5” cutters and considering picking up more.

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Registered
Shorter bar = less flex, and the closer to the spindle hub you can get the cutter mounted and the support bearing to it
the more rigid the setup.............

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Small machine, shorter arbor; the arbor should be long enough to teach the outer end of the table in it's farthest position from the machine's column. That said, a stub arbor is handy for some jobs where the cutter is being used close to the spindle and the overarm support just gets in the way; a long arbor used in this situation without a support leads to chatter.

[6]
[5] [7]