Longer bed kit for Sherline lathe?

Bnystrom

Registered
Registered
I have a Sherline 4530 and I need more capacity for longer projects. Does anyone sell a complete upgrade kit with a longer base, bed and lead screw? I didn't see anything on Sherline's site.

They sell the long bed and screw for the 4400 lathe. Give them a call. The beds are the same on the long and short bed versions other than length so everything should just bolt right on. Easy-peasy and cheap.

I've emailed them about it. I figured that everything other than the base, bed and lead screw would still work.

Yeah, forgot about the base.

Yeah, but for that you get the capacity. I could buy an entire long bed Sherline lathe for what it cost to buy a steady rest for my larger Emco lathe. Everything is relative, right?

True. I think I just found a line on an entire 4400 with a bunch of extra parts for less than the cost of the conversion parts from Sherline.

I would jump on it, B. Then you'll have both a long and short lathe. There are many times when having two lathes available will make a project possible. The long bed lathe is incredibly useful and allows you to make stuff that you wouldn't ordinarily think a Sherline lathe could make.

I picked it up last night for $300, which is about what the parts to upgrade my 4530 would have been. It's actually a custom industrial setup based on a 4400 and it took me a little while to figure out what I had. In addition to the stock lathe, it came with a 6520 dove tail headstock (that was apparently used as a tailstock) and a riser plate and pivot pin to raise the factory headstock to the same height. Both headstocks have spindles with a 9/16" ID and no Morse taper (Sherline p/n 40239). This should allow me to pass through stock as large as 14mm, which is a big plus. It also came with 2, 3-jaw chucks.

In order to use the tooling I have, I'm going to lower the headstock to the original height and use the standard tailstock. I can always change the configuration if I need to for a special project.

The cross feed table had been modified, so I'm going to replace it. I need a few small parts, but I'm going to end up with a second lathe with much improved capacity for relatively cheap money.

Back