Look what followed me home last night. . .

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
This Sebastion lathe followed me home last night, after I carefully strapped it to the trailer, of course. As soon as I cranked the carriage wheel, I knew this one was going to be a winner for me. It was in an out building, but the seller powered it up using the welder on his truck. It just ran so smooth. I couldn't get the $650 he was asking for out of my pocket quick enough. It may have some wear that knocks it out of tolerances, but it is still a major upgrade from my Craftsman 12x36.

I had another thread talking about the "5Hp", 3-phase treadmill motor I have. The plan was to possibly use it for this. But now that I've felt it run with the 220V-1phase that it has, I don't think I want to mess with it. I'm thinking that it has the original motor.

If anyone has any documentation on Sebastion H-model lathes, I sure would like to see it. My first task is to get it off of the trailer and into the workshop without a forklift. I think I'll accomplish that one piece at a time with the engine lift. That'll give me the chance to give it a good cleaning, and maybe even hit it with some paint here-and-there. The second task will be to find out what knob does what.

Attachments

• KIMG0117.JPG
    KIMG0117.JPG
    619.1 KB · Views: 118
  • KIMG0119.JPG
    KIMG0119.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 111
  • KIMG0120.JPG
    KIMG0120.JPG
    520.9 KB · Views: 100
  • KIMG0122_01_BURST1000122_COVER.JPG
    KIMG0122_01_BURST1000122_COVER.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
What is the deal with all this stuff following us all home ? Every time I take the truck for a spin , something seems to follow me home ! :big grin: You know , I hate to sell the truck , but if that's what it takes ..........................................:eek:

Nice find Shotgun ! :encourage:

Well I got it moved into the workshop. . . in pieces. Worked my Harbor Freight engine lift nearly to death.
The tailstock was easy, of course. I was able to carry it inside. But, just barely.
One bolt on the tailstock end, and the lead screw slid right out. Man, that is one stout piece of lead screw.
I got hung up removing the carriage, and had to remove the skirt to get it off. I hope those 4 bolts go back in as easy as they came out.
The belt cover was next, and is a fairly hefty piece of cast iron, to just be a belt cover. I can pick it up, but chose to use the engine lift.
I couldn't see how to remove the headstock, so it came off with the ways. Three bolts up from the bottom on each side let it go. This is what really pushed my engine lift to its limit. But, an inch at a time, and I got 'er done. It takes up a lot more space than I was expecting.
The chip pan seems to have lived a hard life, but I've got the pieces to use as a pattern to bend up a new one.
The tailstock legs are more beefy cast iron, but were an easy lift. The headstock legs, with that massive motor, was a different matter. The motor sits on what looks like a 1/2" plate about a foot square with adjustment bolts on the side and back.

Everything has a thick coating of dried up oil. I was on the fence about how much restoration work I wanted to do on it. If I had access to a forklift and could have set it in place, I would have wiped it down and started making chips. But, with it already broken down, I would be remiss to not hit with some degreaser and a couple cans of paint. I'm not sure if I want to go with a battleship gray in honor of its naval history, red to match my other machines, or bronze 'cause I really like it.

That lathe sounds (and looks) like an amazing find, congratulations!
What is the swing and distance between centres? it's hard to get scale from the photos......

I am sure it weighs many times what your Craftsman does.

I see a threading dial - that's great.
Did you get any chucks with it?

I hope someday to have something much bigger than my SouthBend 9".

Brian

Last edited:
What is the deal with all this stuff following us all home ? Every time I take the truck for a spin , something seems to follow me home ! :big grin: You know , I hate to sell the truck , but if that's what it takes
Thats what I did! Sold the truck, bought a hitch for my sedan and gutted a popup for a trailer. Now I'm limited to 1000 pounds at a time. It works. Ha!

8" from the center of the backing plate to the way. 16" swing?
52" from the backing plate to the end of the way. Given the tailstock is over 12" long, I think that'll give me 36" between centers.
The chuck is a massive 12" dia, 4 jaw. The seller said there were issues with it. I won't know untill I get it all back together.

I also got the taper attachment. At least, most of it. I think

Last edited:
Back