Look what followed me to the shop

7mag

Active User
Registered
Found this Rivett 918 on ebay. The date stamped on the plate is 2-10-45. Didn't have a compound, but has a tail stock and a center boring bar support. I just can't stand to see these old machines go to the scrap yard.
It has a 5C bore that looks to be in great condition.
I'm going to clean it up and see what I've got.
Wish me luck fellows.

RIVETT918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at that, But didn't need another project. Keep us posted on the restore!!

Paul

Hi,

I agree with you about sending old iron to the melters pot. If a machine can be salvaged, modified or restored back to it's original condition, then it's worth the time and effort. The good side of things is that if you are unable to find enough parts to make it into a usable metal cutting lathe, you could always convert it into a wood working lathe. I'm sure that you will be able to get your money and more back again, for the time and effort.

Geoffrey Owen.

Does it have a carraige? If not, why not make it into a wood lathe. In fact, it doesn't look like it has any sort of leadscrew, did Rivett build a wood lathe?

Looks like a long term project, but a funon etoo. Keep us posted with some pics as you go.
Bob

7 Mag I think this is what you have, Good Luck, and hope you can find all the parts you need.
KGrHqEOKm4E42n4djkBOMFEUwqg60_3.jpg

I don't know where the pics I posted earlier of the finished Rivett so I'll post them again.

R918-1.jpg R918-3.jpg R918-7.jpg

Back