Look what I found inside a block of steel

The concentricity gauge is a dial-like indicator where the dial is driven off a cam surface and lever.
Off of the lever is an arm that rotates around the surface (i.e., touching) being measured.
The other end is placed in the spindel.
You turn on the machine, the spindle rotates, and you adjust the x and y axis until the indicator hardly moves.

In the part above, the gauge is used twice, first to center the rotary table under the spindle, then to center the part on the rotary table also under the spindle. Once centered I offset in the long axis and then round and round she went until the outer diameter was appropriate.
I got both concentricities well under 0.000,5.

The concentricity gauge is a dial-like indicator where the dial is driven off a cam surface and lever.
Off of the lever is an arm that rotates around the surface (i.e., touching) being measured.
The other end is placed in the spindel.
You turn on the machine, the spindle rotates, and you adjust the x and y axis until the indicator hardly moves.

In the part above, the gauge is used twice, first to center the rotary table under the spindle, then to center the part on the rotary table also under the spindle. Once centered I offset in the long axis and then round and round she went until the outer diameter was appropriate.
I got both concentricities well under 0.000,5.
Do you have a few photos? That would help me to visualize. Thank you!

I think that's what it is. He's centering the bored out area where the die sits on the rotary table so he can cut the radius on the outside of the die holder. Move the table over, and then spin the rotary to cut. Repeat on the other side, then lathe to cut the handles.

You don't need a coaxial indicator to do it, but it's faster.

You don't need a coaxial indicator to do it, but it's faster.

Yes, correct, you don't need one, but it is SO much easier to do setups with than the DI on an articulation mechanism.

Sorry for the coaxial <-> concentricity mixup.

Back