Look what I found ...

Wino1442

Registered
Registered
Hi all... my grandfather was a machinist in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. He passed away in '69 and somehow I ended up with most of his tool boxes ( I still don't remember lugging these boxes down into my basement). Over the years I've gone through those boxes many times and have found many tools that I continue to use, but the other day I saw a steel box that I don't ever remember opening..so I opened it. Inside was a Dumore tool post grinder. It is very clean and the only thing that I think is missing is the diamond wheel dresser and a belt guard, but the spindle bearings most definitely need replacing. Looking at the Dumore site I see that those bearings are pretty expensive. Does anyone know of cheaper set of bearings that will suffice or should bite the bullet and get the Dumore replacements. Thanks.

IMG_3567.jpgIMG_3569.jpgIMG_3570.jpgIMG_3571.jpg

I have the same grinder. What was the price quote for the replacement bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some frame of reference...... the grinder is like $1300 new. So if the 2 bearings are $100 (total) then I’d say go original. If they are $375 then maybe not. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Dumore's site the bearings are listed at $198..( I assume it's for a matched pair. The price list doesn't specify per bearing or for a set)

Love the old original oil can.

Maybe check Motion Industries or Applied Industrial

A lot of time, you can just open up the bearing cover, clean the inside, re-grease and replace the cover. Unless the balls or the races are heavily pitted, this works just fine.

If you can remove a bearing there should be a part number most probably on the inner race. Take down the number and contact a bearing supply house. They should be able to come up with a cross reference to several manufacturers. Since Dumore doesn't make bearings they obviously bought them from a major supplier. If they're like most OEM suppliers they tacked on a healthy markup

You might try an online outfit called Locate Ball Bearings.com

They specialize in older and obsolete bearings. I was able to source the bearings for the Worthington drive in my Sheldon lathe for about 25% of the cost suppliers like Motion Industries were asking

Price is right for high speed spindle bearings. You could buy cheaper but you won't get a good finish when you grind something.

Back