Looking at a 10F-28

I have both an Atlas TH-10x36 and a QCGB-42.
currnetly using the TH-10x36 to make a few parts for restoring the QCGB-42 then it get sold.

I had bought the TH-10x36 then the QCGB-42 came up locally about 1 year later for a good price but needed some work.

Minor point - Atlas 10F model numbers always consist of one or two letters and two digits, where the two digits are the nominal bed length, not the distance between centers. So your change gear lathe is a TH-54, which automatically means that its swing and nominal maximum center-to-center is 10x36. And the quick change equipped lathe is a QC-42. There was no need for the other letters as by the time that the QCGB came out because Atlas had discontinued the vertical countershaft and the babbit bearing headstocks.

You may have other reasons for not doing it, but if I had the two lathes that you have, and was going to get rid of the change gear model, assuming only that the two beds were in equivalent condition, I would swap beds and keep what had become a QC-54. and sell what was now a TH-42.

Like the ultma doctor said; save your money for a better lathe. BUT, if it’s cheap enough, buy it for resale. Some of that stuff in the pics has good $ to make. Once you own a QCGB you will not look back.

Like the ultma doctor said; save your money for a better lathe. BUT, if it’s cheap enough, buy it for resale. Some of that stuff in the pics has good $ to make. Once you own a QCGB you will not look back.

The owner is asking $1400 which I think is a bit steep. It is in excellent condition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back