Looking at a FTV-3 mill.

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thoughts? It has a Sony DRO, some tooling, 40 taper. It was made for the military back in the 70s, and I was told it has a universal table. Power feed everywhere. I was told he is asking $1500 for all of it. Going to look at it tomorrow.

Jason

I have an FTV-3 from the late 1990s. It is a big machine with a lot of capacity, yet the movements are like glass. Just plan for more weight when you move it. The FTV-3 comes in at 4500 lbs, that is heavier than a Series II and a heck of a lot heavier than an entry level BP.

One of the things to look for are hard chromed ways. Not all came with them, but they appear to slow wear down considerably. Mine was also factory equipped with a power draw bar and an automatic Bijur oiler. Lagun is still in business and is still taking support requests out of their L.A. CA importer's office.

I looked at it today. It's an FTV-4E. It has a universal table, and about 15 tool holders. Sony 2 axis DRO. The bad, the fuse on the circuit board in the back immediately blows when you turn the power on, and none of the power feeds work. Probably a dead short somewhere. Old electronics scare me. The price is less than $2k, to be negotiated. The manual handle is also broken into numerous pieces. I don't know if it's worth the risk.

Jason
IMG_20200219_155253399.jpgIMG_20200219_155809456.jpg

Back