looking at a m head

hss cutter

Registered
Registered
looking at a m head mounted to a us machine tool co mill . what are the pluses and minus of this machine we are just repair shop that has to make some parts from time to time The lathe is used proubly once a week the mill I am guessing proubly the same. What are the common wear items that we should look for when I look at this machine.Thanks in advance

might want to check what tool is used in the spindle R8 is the most useful and available.

Most of the M heads I’ve seen are B&S 7

It will have one of three spindle tapers: Morse #2, Brown and Sharpe #7 or B-3
measure the id at the bottom outer end
.7005 = MT2
.720 = B&S 7
I don't remember what B-3 is
Mark

There's a "M" head for sale on eBay right now, or was. It has the M-3 taper, the rarest of the three. Have to make your own collets or arbors to fit the M-3 spindle taper. If you can find an old Bridgeport accessory catalog, it gives the basic dimensions of the taper for collets and arbors.

EDIT: The B-3 looks like a miniature R-8 but much smaller and different angle. Has a .800" diameter nose, a shank diameter of .649 and a overall length of about 3-1/8". Does have a 7/16-20 draw bar thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with an M-head bridgeport, it worked very well for my purposes until I got tired of manually down-feeding the spindle for boring holes. The maximum cutter shank the collets will accept is 1/2" diameter, another drawback when compared to any R8 machine. Original B&S #7 collets come up for sale occasionally but are usually kind of hard to find. I had to make my own end mill holders to accept shanks up to 1".

well talked to the guy he says mt 2 anyone got one of these that can chime in?

Back