Looking at a SB model 34b, questions

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a lathe and have a somewhat limited budget so have been cruising the online classifieds. Along with the limited budget I have some space limits and weight limits. Limits are more for the ability to move the lathe into the basement which is the closest thing to a shop that I have. I have a garage but it is unheated and I'd like to be able to use the lathe more than 6 months of the year.

So I found a lathe which fits into the price range I can afford but need to know how much the individual assemblies weigh for moving into my basement and as it turns out moving it out of the basement it currently resides in. I believe all of the major assemblies will weigh 100 pounds or less, at least around that with the only exceptions being the headstock and bed.

By my calculations, a total SWAG, the bed is going to weigh around 400 pounds, but I could be completely wrong. If I am I hope I am overestimating the weight rather than underestimating it.

So, do I have it ID'd correctly?
What would be a fair price?
Is the bed going to kill me when I try to go up the stairs and down the stairs.

I think the seller bought a house and the lathe came as part of the deal and they have no attachment to it beyond the $.

And the picture is terrible but let's assume that it is in restorable condition. I have looked at the photo enlarged and the only real concerns I have are the lever that sticks out below the chuck and the crap on the bed directly below that. I think the stuff on the bed is construction debris and not dings in the metal, but I won't know for sure until I get to see it.

With the exception of the bed everything should be carriable by one or two people.
For the bed, lay a 2x12 on the stairs and rig a come along to slide the bed up the stairs. At your house , rerig and slide down the board to the basement.

Looks like v on bed has been cut off below lever.don't think it will be a problem if it is cut.might help to get lower price.looks like a nice lathe if not too worn..how much are they asking?shouldn't be a problem moving as long as all major parts are removed off bed..good luck

Looks like v on bed has been cut off below lever.don't think it will be a problem if it is cut.might help to get lower price.looks like a nice lathe if not too worn..how much are they asking?shouldn't be a problem moving as long as all major parts are removed off bed..good luck
It is hard to tell from the low res photo. When I blow it up it looks like a piece of tape on the bed. Looking at the gear cover there is another tapey looking piece, curled up. And that piece hanging off the tailstock looks a lot like a drop cloth, so I am hoping that it just had a plastic drop cloth on it. I think the rest of the stuff there is just schmutz from the remodeling that is going on around the basement. It looks like they demoed and replaced that block wall with the lathe just sitting there and it has gravel and dust from that.

Seller is asking $750 but the ad has been there for a while so I am thinking I can get it for less. Of course if there is a box somewhere that has the 4 jaw, steady rest, follow rest, milling attachment, collet chuck etc, the value would go way up but there is no indication any of that exists, just wishful thinking.

Could be.looks like it lines up with lever.not sure what lever I'd for..not a bad price but would try for a lower price.can't hurt..

Yeah, it is hard to tell from the picture. I will try to get the owner to send me a better picture from another angle.

Part of the issue is I can't find a single example of this model with the motor mount attached to the leg. Even in the old catalogs it isn't listed as an option for the drive.And really very few good pictures of current model 34's, but the ones I have seen do not have that lever there. Wondering if maybe it is the tailstock wrench somehow stuck there.

It almost looks like it may be hiding a taper attachment. The chip cover on the cross slide looks like it tapers and the plain cover is pretty much straight.

I am dying to get a look at it.

Wondering if someone made a spindle lock or brake..you can use a serpentine belt for your flat belt.if you get it..

Back