Looking At Leblond Lathe Need Advise?

unioncreek

Active User
Registered
I'm looking at a Leblond lathe that is on surplus, it only comes with a 3 jaw, no steady or follower rest or 4 jaw. Dirty, but it doesn't look like it's been beat up. I looked at the UK Leblond site and as close as I can tell it's a 1940s to late 1950s 13" pr 15". I could not find any data plates on it to find out any other info. The distance between centers is close to 36 inches.

Any advise on what it's worth and what to look for in terms of wear on it. There is a reserve on it, but the person I talked to didn't know what it was.

Thanks,
Bob

On most LeBlond lathes the serial number is between the V and flat way at the tailstock end of the bed. Find the LaBlond website on the web for their email address and send that number with an inquiry. They are good about giving up such info as date of manufacture and basic specs. I have a 13" Standard Regal built in 1943. Some Regals from that era were called trainers and were made for trade schools and military training. Those were supposedly built a little lighter than the standard model. I don't know where the difference would be, all the ones I've seen look the same.

You can see the wear on the ways quite easily as they're flaked. I have a threaded spindle leblond, and the chuck was very very well attached, I read that issue a lot when people talk about old leblonds.

Some of them come with a big leg at both ends, I think all the UK ones had a big leg and a light waight leg at the tail end.

Stuart

Back