Looking for a 1 1/8" x 10tpi adapter or 3" chuck Backplate 1 1/8 threaded or blank

KennyC

Registered
Registered
Hi working on restoring my 1906 J.B. Spencer lathe. The spindle is 1 1/8" x 10tpi. It has a bronze thread adapter to fit my 3" back plate chuck. The chuck is threaded at 1 5/8" 10 if I recall.

The spindle threads are good. The bronze adapter threads are shot. Need to eliminate that part unless I can find another good adapter. I would be willing to just use the 1 1/8" x 10tpi spindle threaded directly to a new 3" back plate. I have a machinist that will tweak the plate to fit but would like me to find a plate with 1 1/8" x 10tpi. Already cut.

I have spent hours on the interwebs looking with no luck. I would really appreciate any help at all.

Thanks Kenny

Hi Kenny,
do you have a faceplate or another chuck you can install on your lathe?
if so, you can buy an adapter for a smaller bore punch it out and thread it to 1-1/8x10tpi.

Your best bet is going to be to get a semi finished back plate for 1"-10 and bore it and thread it. 1 1/8" 10 isn't used any more

Thanks guys... I have no other chuck or back plate to mod right now. Was thinking about getting the one below from little machine shop.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2335&category=-1110836144

Also thanks billh I may pickup the 3" listed on eBay but need to check with them on the exact size. Then run it by the machinist that is helping me. I'm pretty certain that he wants the diameter slightly oversized so he can cut it in. Unfortunately only have a small budget for this project. The guy that is helping me out is really fair and helpful but I most likely will be giving him $100 an hour for his time.

Here are a few pics:

chuckback1.jpg

chuckplate2.jpg
chuckfront.jpg

the 4" unit from LMS will work just fine :)
but the 5-1/2" Ebay deal already has the id you need, the rest is just taking the od down to 4", that may be a lot easier

Back