Looking for a 20 tooth gear for my Atlas Clausing 10100

UXOguy

Registered
Registered
I inherited an Atlas Clausing 6 inch lathe model 10100 and have been slowly getting more comfortable with the machine. My late father-in-law used it almost exclusively for thread cutting to fabricate screws for antique firearms. I would like to gear it for a much slower carriage feed for turning but don’t have any individual 20 tooth gears in my inventory. Can you still buy gears for the 10100 six-inch lathe.
Thanks

Ebay is usually a reliable source but you may have to wait a bit- Atlas stuff is somewhat seasonal and tends to show up in bunches
The 20 tooth wears fast so look closely at any used gears you plan to buy
Mark

Ebay is usually a reliable source but you may have to wait a bit- Atlas stuff is somewhat seasonal and tends to show up in bunches
The 20 tooth wears fast so look closely at any used gears you plan to buy
Mark
Thanks for taking the time to help.
I have a compound 56T/20T that I suppose I could separate by taping out the compound gear bushing carefully but never tried this and it has never been used so it probably came from the factory that way. I assume the bushing has a small taper so I would need to take care on which end is which and remember that these cast gears are a zinc/aluminum alloy that is “somewhat fragile.”
Any thoughts?

Just an update, I gently tapped out the compound gear bushing and then coupled a 64T gear with the 20T gear using a new gear bushing. There is a 5/1000 difference between the two bushing ends so it was not too hard to pick the correct direction to tap out the bushing. Got all the gears in place for a .0024 feed per spindle revolution but didn’t realize that I needed to lower the gear bracket to mesh the new gear with the 16T stud gear until I studied the manual in more detail. Boy, getting the gear spacing right takes young eyes and lots of patience. I found the “wrapping paper” gear mesh spacing method highly variable. Wonder if a thin gauge wire would work better.

Just an update, I gently tapped out the compound gear bushing and then coupled a 64T gear with the 20T gear using a new gear bushing. There is a 5/1000 difference between the two bushing ends so it was not too hard to pick the correct direction to tap out the bushing. Got all the gears in place for a .0024 feed per spindle revolution but didn’t realize that I needed to lower the gear bracket to mesh the new gear with the 16T stud gear until I studied the manual in more detail. Boy, getting the gear spacing right takes young eyes and lots of patience. I found the “wrapping paper” gear mesh spacing method highly variable. Wonder if a thin gauge wire would work better.
Correction, should have said rotate the gear bracket (banjo) up to mesh gear with the spindle stud gear

I have a similar lathe, I have had issues with the sides of gears touching/rubbing against each other. No great solution for that- sometimes flipping them around helps. The bushings sometimes can be very tight so you might need to trim them slightly but not too much; you want a snug fit but not too snug.
Mark

Thanks, I noticed that the letter R is present on the side that has the casting mold fill marks but the gears seem to work equally well either way.

I am trying to figure out how to tighten my traverse dial so it moves consistently both directions. I can get it to advance by tightening the nut toward the headstock but this produces slack when I back out from the cut. I have had to use a plunge dial indicator to get a trustworthy depth of cut.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You can buy plastic ones for a reasonable cost from Shapeways. I recently did. Work fine on my 6 inch lathe

As had been said ebay has the Atlas 6" parts listed fairly often. If you have to have it right now Clausing still carries some parts for 10100, though the prices are a bit steep.

Thanks,

I was able to find a 20T gear and reconfigure my 10100 for turning. My next challenge is the electric motor which needs cleaning and some maintenance as it occasionally arcs when I turn it on. It is a 1/3 hp Westinghouse Split-Phase induction coil motor Type FHT, S# 317P 025, 115 volt, 6.2 amp. The wiring connections are cramped and very “busy” so I will have a electric motor repair shop do the work.

Back