Looking for a 4 jaw 5" chuck for my mini mill.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have on a few occasions needed a 4 jaw chuck but always convinced myself it is not going to be used often enough to earn its keep;) but now I'm passed that and want not only a 4 jaw chuck but the biggest I can put on a mini mill which is a 5".:eagerness:
Now I'm wondering how many of you mini mill owners have a 4 jaw independent chuck? and what make/model /size did you get?
I only know one reliable place to buy this chuck from and that's LMS, they sell model 2338 but it needs an adapter to fit on my lathe, does any of you own this model? what do you think of the quality ? I'm sure there are better chucks out there but all I need is a 4 jaw chuck that doesn't need to be modified in order to make it acceptable. LMS has not disappointed me yet but I thought your opinions on this model and/or other manufacturers would be valuable now before I pull the trigger.
So if you got a 4 jaw chuck, please let me know about the,make/model , size, quality, price, etc.
Thanks to all in advance.

Check Busy Bee Ken. They have a 5 inch for $165 CDN with free shipping. I bought an 8 inch from them, was on clearance. Didn't think it would be great but needed something for smaller work, my 16 inch will only close to 1 inch. I was impressed, forget the numbers now but runout 5 or 6 inches from the chuck was negligible.

Greg

Thanks Greg, the problem is I don't know if this one will fit the flange on my lathe , I may have to buy the adapter from LMS which might work ,but it may not. with the LMS model it is a sure fit.

I have the LMS 5" 4 jaw and adapter for my 7x10 lathe. It is really too big and heavy for my lathe. The little 250 watt motor just does not like it and will trip the breaker when trying to go to hi rpm. The adapter and chuck do fit properly though.

Roy

I have the LMS 5" 4 jaw and adapter for my 7x10 lathe. It is really too big and heavy for my lathe. The little 250 watt motor just does not like it and will trip the breaker when trying to go to hi rpm. The adapter and chuck do fit properly though.

Roy
Roy, are you not using that chuck any more? or maybe you are thinking of get a bigger lathe and use that chuck eventually.
I've also heard what you just described , that smaller motors do have a hard time getting up to top speed ,I suppose it would also take a long time to come to a dead stop due to the extra weight/diameter.I think the 500 Watt brushless motor on my lms 5200 could handle that size chuck though.

Thanks for chiming in Roy, it's too bad your lathe can't handle that chuck.

Roy ,do you know the model # of your 4 jaw chuck? if you're thinking of selling it and it is #2338, please let me know.

That's one great offer and very generous of you. we'll talk via PMs about the price ,it does fits my lathe if I buy a 2961 adapter for it, thanks Roy, I'll send you a pm.

The adapter on it is for the 7x10 spindle. The registration recess on the adapter is 55mm, I don't know if it can be machined out for your spindle. If so you would not need to buy the adapter. Comes with chuck key. Never been used. I have no need for it.

Roy

The adapter on it is for the 7x10 spindle. The registration recess on the adapter is 55mm, I don't know if it can be machined out for your spindle
It should be alright, my lathe has a 4" chuck with a 72 mm registration boss .

Back