Looking for a decent Tap/Die set

@Ken - what are these sizes? Not familiar with these designations
  • 6 - 40 Tap, #33 Drill; 8 - 36 Tap, #29 Drill;
  • 10 - 24 Tap, #25 Drill; 10 - 32 Tap, #21 Drill;
Each tap in the box comes with its corresponding/recommended drill bit ,that's what makes sets like these so convenient, once you've established what size screws is to be used , then you'll need to drill the correct size holes and correct size tap.
you can also download a tap/drill chart and refer to it for the recommended drill sizes

Here's a LMS chart for number drill sizes:

I don't know what 'quality' is or isn't - other than the price at this point.
Quality taps hold up much better, less likely to break. A broken tap can ruin a project, in that it can be difficult to remove the tap fragments without damaging the part.
Irwin is a very common brand associated with inexpensive taps. Best to avoid!

For us hobbyist any high speed steel tap & die set that fits your budget will be( so called) "better quality" and is just fine, if you want to order taps individually, YG taps are readily available on Amazon and their price will be easy on your wallet:
I highly recommend printing these Starrett charts or maybe get the pocket size free from Starrett, they used to send them free of charge ,they may still do if you contact them :

There have been many past threads about this subject and looking through them can really build knowledge. I personally buy old names like Greenfield/GTD, Bluepoint, Craftsman Kromedge, Keystone. I can see the logic of buying what you need but I do so many varied things if I did that I’d be waiting on delivery all the time. Because the stuff in local hardware is junk, period. So I buy sets. Most of my sets even though vintage are almost unused. But it takes a lot of diligence and background to know what you’re looking for. Like I’d had my Bluepoint and Craftsman sets for decades before I’d heard of Greenfield. They are the inventors of the tap and die.

Last edited:
I buy Vermont American cheap crap sets for emergency and to have the wrench and thread gage and as others have said, buy the good stuff when needed or in common sizes. I always have several 1/4-20, 5/16-18 3/8-16, and M8 and M10 in the good stuff. Small crap taps can be found in hardware stores for an emergency when you break one. I use a lot of Whitworth and there really isn't great BSW or BSF stuff out there so India ebay stuff for those applications. Dave

Take a ride over to Western Tool and ask, they should be willing to assist.

You’ll probably need to go normal working hours and be patient while sales finishes what they’re doing.

But, if you have a good local sales rep you’ll be happy for a long time. Online is not always cheapest or best.

John

Back