Looking for a decent Tap/Die set

I'm sure it's packed with good info but the thickness of it is just a hair under "The Guide to Understanding Women" - and I still am trying to get through that one.... :D
It's a reference book not a novel ;)

Good to have one around, if you haven't read South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe". Go through that at night, great if you're having trouble falling asleep. It's available free as a PDF.

Tons of other great stuff out there like the US Navy Machinery Repairman.

John

I'm sure it's packed with good info but the thickness of it is just a hair under "The Guide to Understanding Women" - and I still am trying to get through that one.... :D
Actually, it is a little thicker. The pages are of "onion skin" paper. The kind that used to be used with carbon copies on typewriters. I never checked the page count, it's up around 2500, give or take. I've got the "Guide to Understanding Women" nailed down, it isn't that complex, just a lot of filler, just like women.
Why ships are always refered to as "SHE":​
They, especially sailing ships, are just like women. Where the Rigging costs more than the Hull. A machinist is like that, the tooling costs more than the base machine. Machinry's Handbook should help with "Understanding" immensly.
Good to have one around, if you haven't read South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe". Go through that at night, great if you're having trouble falling asleep. It's available free as a PDF. Tons of other great stuff out there like the US Navy Machinery Repairman.
The South Bend book is good, but lacks many fine details. But the important stuff is there. The Navy MR3-2 is an excellent book. Get the older, declassified book if you can. Avoid the Navy web site. I have used the Navy Basic Electricity since 1969. The declassified version from Dover is a page by page reprint. The Navy's web site leaves out entire chapters in the new version. Magnetic theory isn't used by modern EMs. Bravo Uniform Lima Lima Sierra Hotel India Tango. . .

I use primarily spiral flute and spiral point taps. These are not generally available in sets. I buy my taps as needed.

Back