Looking for a first mill and lathe

Another consideration is size and weight of the machine. Machines weighing under 500 # can usually be moved easily and- less expensive. It could cost $1k per machine to have it moved by a professional. And- would you want to move a 2500 # top heavy mill without the proper tools and experience?
One of the reasons I bought a new lathe is that it was shipped to my front door, which saved me time and money.

...Machines weighing under 500 # can usually be moved easily and- less expensive. It could cost $1k per machine to have it moved by a professional...

That methodology could lead one to buy an inadequate machine.

I was able to easily relocate my 2,000 lb knee mill across the shop using a toe jack ($100 new), pallet jack ($150 used) and toe bar (<$100 new), all of which I already owned.

Deals do come along if you are patient enough and persistant enough. I have been wanting a decent sized air compressor that would run my blast cabinet with more blasting time than recharging time for MANY years. Last weekend I finally found the 2 stage 80 gallon 5hp 1ph compressor I have been wanting for years for $400. I have my list of wants and know what a good deal is for what I am looking for.

Moving heavy machinery is very intimidating. A few basic tools will make the job much easier. A trailer that is lower to the ground than a pickup bed makes moving much easier. A gantry crane gives you a lot of lifting power. I built my gantry out of laminated 2 x 4's with trippled 2 x 12's for the header. I have used it for unloading the 80g compressor, a 13" South Bend lathe and a 2500 lb mill without issue. Once the machine is up off the trailer I pull the trailer out then lower the machine onto a heavy duty wooden base designed to be easily moved by a pallet jack.

You aren't going to find a great deal on a mill or a lathe the first time you look on Craigs list. You have to look often and be patient. I have seen the 6 x 24 and 8 x 30" knee mills come up on craigslist in the $1000 range occasionally... one of these should give you a lot of functionality in a somewhat compact package. Personally I would opt for a smaller mill that is tight over a larger mill with worn ways and sloppy adjustments... same for a lathe.

What is the thread pitch you need to cut and what is it for?

Last edited:
I started with a mill drill that I got for $400 used. It worked great for me, however I sold it (for a profit) and bought a Bridgeport. One thing I did not hear mentioned on the tooling side of things is compatibility. Since my first machine had a R8 spindle, I was able to use everything I had for the Bridgeport. It sure was nice to “grow” the mill and not have to buy any new tooling. As for moving machines it doesn’t have to be as intimidating as some people make it sound. As an engineer, I am sure you are able to think several moves out (chess not checkers). Just remember to be safe and that gravity has an impeccable track record!!

Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

Ryan

I am a 3rd generation machinist with many inherited tools from my Father and Grandfather. I still spent a mint on tooling building a hobby shop in the garage. Granted, I didn't need a Bison chuck or Dorian QCTP, but even without those, it cost me several thousand to get to a comfortable point.

I live in Cleveland (Hello from Ohio!). There is a place called HGR on the east side of the city that sells used equipment. I bought my 12x36 lathe from them for $1100. They have a highly rotating selection, some stuff is in good shape, some not. It is worth keeping an eye on. https://hgrinc.com/

If you are up that way, I'd be happy to show you the small shop I have. I bet my mill and lathe would be more than adequate for the jobs you are talking about.

I also know a guy who has a home business of machine rebuilding in Columbus. He has offered to sell me a few machines and they are in good condition and reasonably priced. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

I started with a mill drill that I got for $400 used. It worked great for me, however I sold it (for a profit) and bought a Bridgeport. One thing I did not hear mentioned on the tooling side of things is compatibility. Since my first machine had a R8 spindle, I was able to use everything I had for the Bridgeport. It sure was nice to “grow” the mill and not have to buy any new tooling. As for moving machines it doesn’t have to be as intimidating as some people make it sound. As an engineer, I am sure you are able to think several moves out (chess not checkers). Just remember to be safe and that gravity has an impeccable track record!!

Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

Ryan
This is a great point!! My Wells Index Super 55 vertical mill was originally equipped with a Brown&Sharpe taper(not common). I had to weigh that option out and ultimately decided to go through with the purchase. I immediately had it reground to an R8 by Wells-Index to bring it up to modern times.

Back