Looking for a good Tap and Die Set

thanks daryl, i would be more than happy to do another group buy. remember i need multiples of 12 for ordering as most of the 1/2 and under sizes come packaged to me that way. they won't sell singles or smaller quanities to us distributors.

i have not heard a lick from anyone that participated in the small size of gun taps/drills so either they are all ****** or they were satisfied.

let me know what your interested in, i will shop for ideas and go from there.
is there any advantage to us hobbiest to use gun taps (spiral taps) compared to standard ? i really don't know, but would welcome comments..................................
standing by here. . .
davidh

If you're putting together a group buy I might be interested in a metric set, taps for sure, maybe dies.

I've got the set on the left. Had it for many years and I can assure you that they'll tap steel.

R.E. Irwin being made in USA, I'm not so sure. There was a thread quite some time back where Lowe's was having a blow out sale on their entire tool line and I recall several folks talking about how the quality of the Irwin line had plummeted since being outsourced to China. I know for a fact that the Vice-Grip brand is now no better than the HF version. Holding a new pair in one hand and my 30yo 8" Vice-Grips in the other there is no comparison. Not even close!

I know what you mean about Vice Grips...I treasure my 30 year old stuff. As for taps and dies, I mostly work with brass, so I got a set of inexpensive carbon steel ones and then replaced the ones I use often, 1/4- 20, etc. with good quality HSS.

If you're putting together a group buy I might be interested in a metric set, taps for sure, maybe dies.
send me a private message so i can keep track of your interest. . . . . please ?

the best set of tap and dies i ever purchased was off of a Matco tool truck, my late uncle owned.
the taps and dies are very high quality and very tough but they did come with a hefty price of $300 (20 yrs ago) for a Metric and SAE/USS set.
i would assume that tool trucks still have good quality taps & dies.
if you are working with them daily i would avoid Hanson,Vermont American,Irwin, any lower grade stuff or junk carbon steel you get at the box stores.
buying and using junk in a pinch is one thing, but intentionally shooting yourself in the foot is not for me.

Bath is the best manufacturer i have had the pleasure to use.
i also have some vintage Polish taps & dies that are only marked POLAND that work really well in
300 series stainless.
McMaster Carr has high quality taps & dies but they are going to be a little expensive, but worth the extra expense if you rely on them for a paycheck

Round dies are for making new threads. they are usually adjustable
Hex dies are for repairing damaged threads. the pinch is not adjustable and the tolerance is looser.
Hex dies should not be confused with thread restorers that have even looser tolerances than the hex die

if you'd like to test the theory try putting threads on some 304 stainless with a Hex Die, then do the same with a round die.
there is a distinct difference.

Last edited:
So where do the twelve point dies fall in?? I earlier mentioned that mine are hex dies, but I was wrong, they are actually twelve point, and adjustable. I haven't used them to cut new threads in 304, but I have used them to cut threads in 316, and they did a fine job. I've heard the story in the past (it may have even been discussed here in this thread) about round vs. hex dies, and the more I read about it the more I think that it's a bunch of hooey (no offense, of course!) but I've never seen any concrete proof to back up the tale of round vs. hex, round for chasing, hex for cutting new or vice versa. If someone has some concrete proof, such as written literature from a manufacturer, or from a text book, please post it as I think we would all love to see it.

ON EDIT: I looked back in this very thread, and I think the subject was adequately covered already.

I have an old Craftsman metric and SAE set that is made in the US of A. Believe these sets were made for Craftsman by Hanson. My favorites are the old Little Giant adjustable threading dies from Greenfield. I have two sets that run from 1/4 to 1 inch. Great for cutting new threads or cleaning up buggered threads. I found mine locally on Craigslist. You can still get NOS threading dies for these on Ebay. If my contribution ever shows up I'm going to post a few of my extra sets for sale here.

Back