Looking for a good Tap and Die Set

All,

In my view, taps fall in the category of saw blades, respirator masks and other short-lived shop supplies. It doesn't pay to buy junk and on the flip-side paying a lot of money doesn't necessarily guarantee you're getting a better product. I've also learned that name-brand items (of this type) coming from the same manufacturer/distributor are often made in multiple factories around the world (such as Mexico, Taiwan, Israel, Germany, Canada and of course, China). Some batches are better than others. Making a long story short, I buy a lot of my taps/dies from a local office of Fastenal which I believe is a nationwide chain. They're not necessarily the cheapest price (nor the highest) but, I haven't been stuck with a dud yet...

Ray

The Snap-On sets are usually a little higher in price but you will get quality sets that should last you a life time. I have a set of their Thunder Bits and they drill scary fast in just about anything. Just turn em at the right speed (SLOW) and you will love them too.

I think the Snap-On set is a good deal,I just picked up a metric 40 piece set from Matco $200.The set is gauranteed for life.He said if i break anything in the set it is covered.Of course it takes a week or two to get the replacement.I would be willing to bet the Snap-On set has the same deal.

I would be interested in a group buy most likely. Provided cost and quality make it worth it. I have 4 sets in the box. 1 large metric and 2 small standard that works ok and one standard that aint worth the metal it took to make them. But all are cheap throw aways which is why I have so many sets ahaha

Here is what I got in the 76 piece Snap-On set, just for those that are curious.

100_1132.JPG

Dies are all adjustable. Only had trouble with one tap so far, and it was the first time I used it. I had to chase a 5/15" thread in mild steel and it chipped out a couple of threads on the tap. Took it back to 'Snappy John' and he gave me a new one, no charge. The new one cleaned up the hole without a hitch. Haven't had any problems since.

100_1132.JPG

Here is what I got in the 76 piece Snap-On set, just for those that are curious.

Dies are all adjustable. Only had trouble with one tap so far, and it was the first time I used it. I had to chase a 5/15" thread in mild steel and it chipped out a couple of threads on the tap. Took it back to 'Snappy John' and he gave me a new one, no charge. The new one cleaned up the hole without a hitch. Haven't had any problems since.

Layout wise, looks identical to mine (Irwin) but my dies are hex/thread repair. I sure could use a set of round thread cutting dies.

Adjustable dies are expensive these days. I have my original tap and die set,a Craftsman set from 1963. It has adjustable dies. Not sure when they stopped slitting the dies so they could be expanded a bit. Just recently,the set gave me trouble when I made a bunch of 3/8" brass bolts for someone. The bolts turned out to be a bit too large to thread through a standard hole. I think the old Craftsman pot metal die stock has gotten worn enough that the hole it holds the dies in is a bit oversize now. I might make a new steel die holder for it.

Though I have accumulated several other vintage tap and die sets over the years,I have reached for the old Craftsman set hundreds of times by now. I think I only broke one tap,a small one. They used to make pretty decent stuff(Well,HAD them made with their label.)

If you can find a set with adjustable dies on Ebay,it is probably an old set. Being old in itself is not a guarantee of quality,but it does improve the odds. Many old sets,Vermont included,are carbon steel. Some like carbon steel as they are easier to remove when they break off in a hole. I just mill my broken taps out(mostly the broken taps of others,I should say,since I used to be the toolmaker in a museum.) Everyone ran to my shop when things got tough! I milled their broken taps out with carbide,TIN coated endmills. No problem for HSS,or whatever.

Layout wise, looks identical to mine (Irwin) but my dies are hex/thread repair. I sure could use a set of round thread cutting dies.
I have the Irwin set too, no problem with the hex dies cutting new threads in steel .I also have a few thread forming taps and dies that I inherited.I believe they are all Greenfield.
mike

Where did this come from? I have never heard of hex=repair and round=cutting. I have both kinds and use them either way with no issues.

I picked up a whole set basically waiting for deals on new taps from eBay. I didn't get all the dies yet but I paid anywhere between $1-$3 for each tap, all good name (Greenfield, Osg, etc), all about a tenth of the cost new.

I was told to skip hand taps and go right to spiral point (gun) taps since they are stronger and push chips down. The less flutes the better too. I've not had a problem doing hundreds of holes by hand and power tapping in the mill. For the price I paid I got a much better pieced together set than anything you can buy and most likely cheaper. The taps themselves probably only cost me about $50 for everthibg fine and coarse from #4 to 1/2".

Also starrett tap wrenches are by far worth every penny...not the t-handle ones aalthough they are nice too, the regular long flat ones. I've had greenfields and other cheap tap wrenches and the starrett are a step above anything else I've ever used.

If you take your time and wait for deals on ebay (most auctions went for $0.99), from the same seller even to save on shipping, you can piece together a real nice set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Back