Looking for a Lathe

Tealc

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a lathe. I have plans for something small, spinning down some brass cases, but hope to do more in the future. I have been considering a lathe I found on craigslist. It is a Jet GBH-1430. I have no idea when it was made and the guy who has it says he does not know and never cared to know. 287018

I need some help to find out if the asking price is a good price. I have not seen this lathe in person so I have not been able to check the wear on the bed, function, or anything else. To me it needs a bunch of cleaning, care, and a total break down and refurbishing. The guy selling this is asking for $1800. I was thinking this was to much for a machine with this lack of care but I have also seen the newer 1340A selling for thousands more. This machine is much larger than I was looking for but if the price is right (or I can get him to a lower price) than I just might work for me. Is this a good price considering it needs a minimum of care and maintenance put in and on it? Any idea on the year this lathe was made? Are there any USA made machines this size that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

I was/am considering a Sherline 4400 as this is closer to the size I was/am looking for to do the job I need. Would I be better off buying a new Sherline or should I consider getting this machine?

Your thought would be appreciated.

That looks like it was made in the early 90's, I have a GHA that is a bit older and pretty much the same machine. Jet sold pretty good equipment, so if it's in good shape $1800 is not a bad price.

Looks like it needs some cleanup, but that is not a big deal.

If the ways and gears are in good shape, I'd say it's a decent price. Needs cleaning and such, but that's not difficult. Looks like it's under power, ask him to run each gear and listen for issues. Make sure the power feed and threading controls work. Then see if there are other accessories and tooling included. Take anything he'll give you with it.

Lathe prices in the Portland area tend to run higher than in other parts of the country, so for a machine of that size
that's an OK price.

Make sure you get any other stuff that goes with it. In the picture it's missing the tailstock chuck, any other chucks and their
keys, steady or follow rests and a manual if he has it. Ask if he can throw in some tooling, and as ttabbal said, make sure
everything works. Look for broken parts or obvious signs of abuse. I wouldn't worry about the age, just condition.

Thanks for the help. I am not to concerned about the age as I am about the other issues that you guys noticed. He says that it comes with some tooling, steady rest, follower rest, face plate, 3 and 4 jaw chuck, along with "some tooling." I do not see in the other pictures he sent me a chuck for the tail stock so I don't know if that is in the "some tooling." Thanks again. I just wish it was a little lower in price. I will see what he says. If everything works right, well I guess I might have to find away to get it home.

That looks like it was made in the early 90's, I have a GHA that is a bit older and pretty much the same machine. Jet sold pretty good equipment, so if it's in good shape $1800 is not a bad price.

Looks like it needs some cleanup, but that is not a big deal.
Yes, does need some TLC. I am extremely Type-A so it kills me to see equipment in that state. Needless to say, if it work correctly I can handle to cleaning.

Jet is a reputable brand, but that is about all I can tell you about that specific lathe. There are a lot of variables, but $1800 doesn't strike me as particularly high for a machine of that size. New a lathe that size is around $5,000.

Since you mentioned a Sherline, the 4400 is a very nice little lathe, I have one and have been very happy with it. Comparing it to a 13" lathe is kind of like comparing grapes and watermelons.

In favor of the Sherline
It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with a lathe, and assume if you bought a Sherline you are probably looking at a new one. If that is the case then in its favor you will be getting a well made machine that is basically ready to go with just a little assembly. Any issues will likely be the operator, not a machine problem. The Sherline machines and accessories come with very good instructions so I found it very novice friendly. Sherline supports their machines well and has good customer service.
The 4400 is very small and lightweight (30-40lbs), so can easily be carried and moved allowing very flexible use and storage. It can be used on a kitchen table, or light workbench. Electrically it can be used on a standard 115v, 15A circuit, so no different than plugging in a blender or toaster.

Small lathes are fairly easy to re-sell, but be aware that like a new car, the moment you buy it the resell value drops to about 50% (this is true of both large and small, but there is a bigger market for small lathes).

Against the Sherline, it is quite small, it is a 3.5x17" lathe, the Jet is a 13x40". While in theory you can turn work of 3-1/2" diameter in reality you are quite limited beyond 1-3/4" diameter which is probably not much bigger than the spindle bore on that Jet.

A new Sherline with decent amount of tooling (B or C package) is going to run you $1000-1200, so not going to save you a lot of money. Used are not very common and often when you do find them they often have a lot of accessories or upgrades so still may be asking $800-1000.

Last edited:
I will add based on watching CL prices in California, if you are willing to spend $1500-2000, with some patience you should have a lot of options in the 10-13" size if you decide to pass on this one.

I will add based on watching CL prices in California, if you are willing to spend $1500-2000, with some patience you should have a lot of options in the 10-13" size if you decide to pass on this one.
Thanks for the information. It is a hard choice to make. I have zero experience other than watching my friend work with his Jet lathe that is about the same size. He offered to teach me but his cancer got really bad quickly and took him only a couple weeks ago. So, I started looking to a the Sherline thinking it would be a good place to start. The I thought that maybe a larger one would be better as I would like to cut some threads in a barrel, put a crown on a barrel, or cut down a barrel for an SBR after learning how to work with the machine.

Go for the Jet if it's in decent shape. You won't be able to do any firearm/barrel work on a Sherline that's for sure
I would be concerned tho that Jet may be worn since it looks like it's never been cleaned or lubed, buyer beware
For that price it should come with a steady rest and hopefully a 4-jaw chuck too
mark

Back