Looking for a nozzle for an Eagle 66 oil can

MarkinLondon

Registered
Registered
I’ve looked everywhere for one and turned up nothing. Nor can I find find the thread specs to have one made. I don’t suppose that anyone has a brass nozzle that fits, or spare one hanging around? Right now there’s a beautiful Eagle sitting on my bench, its threads exposed, yearning for a nozzle and its eventual usefulness.

Thanks,
Mark

If you can measure the threads + the outside diameter it should be possible to come up with a pretty close estimation of the size
I'm guessing Eagle is a UK company? So the thread size could be metric?
-Mark

If you can measure the threads + the outside diameter it should be possible to come up with a pretty close estimation of the size
I'm guessing Eagle is a UK company? So the thread size could be metric?
-Mark
It’s a US company, and both cans are very old… one is likely from the late 1930s, so my guess is not-metric. Without a thread gauge, and due in no small part to my inexperience and innocent, but hopefully short-lived ignorance, searching for an original part, or someone else’s measurement, is my first step. I’m sure, however, that I’ll take to measuring it properly and going down to the engineering department for a thread turning lesson. Big doings!

M

US garden hose fittings are 11-1/2 threads per inch so it may in fact be a odd number like that. Many old American lathes include several oddball
pitches on their thread cutting gearboxes- I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't an even number.
Threads on things like that are usually somewhat loose so even a close approximation would likely work

I have a couple and could prob do some measuring, I have a flex version that I lost the cap for and have not been able to find it. Problem is it is so small that I have not figured how to cut the threads. It was threaded on the inside, Knurled on the outside, and rounded on the end. and was prob just about 1/4 inch long. Never drop that in the grass at a show.
I will see what I can do about measurements for you.

I have a couple and could prob do some measuring, I have a flex version that I lost the cap for and have not been able to find it. Problem is it is so small that I have not figured how to cut the threads. It was threaded on the inside, Knurled on the outside, and rounded on the end. and was prob just about 1/4 inch long. Never drop that in the grass at a show.
I will see what I can do about measurements for you.
That would help a great deal. One of mine is the same, a flex version with a missing tip.

Pulled the tip off and measured the threads, 26tpi, and size 0.248, Hope this helps.

It should… according to https://britishfasteners.com/threads-bsb it’s a 1/4-26 BSB thread, right? British Standard Brass. I’d need this tap to make a nozzle.

Is it odd for an American firm to use a British Whitworth thread? That site leads me to believe that brass is often threaded at 26 tpi. Have I just learned something? I’m very new at this.

I see 1/4-26 UNS taps that would use unified (60 degree) threads rather than Whitworth BSB. I’d bet either would work in this application.

BSB was used for a lot of bicycle parts going back to the deeps of time, and in the USA, machine tools were aimed at bicycle applications before just about anything else. A lot of European bicycle thread standards use imperial thread pitches and metric diameters, because lathes didn’t have metric options on the gearboxes. An example is Italian bottom bracket threads, 36mm diameter but 24tpi.

Rick “brass is malleable” Denney

Back