Looking for a set of files

Kenny G

Registered
Registered
I have a project, a set of darts, that involves making scallop patterns. They will need to be in the range of 13mm on center. I think the best approach is to rough out on the lathe then use files to finish the profile.

I have been looking at the pin files which may work but in the long run they will probably need to be diamond as the final product will be done in tungsten. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good set in the $50 range?

Last edited:
Concentricity of darts is really important for repeatable accuracy. I would carefully machine them, no files.

Tungsten darts ? :grin: I wish my shoulder was strong enough to throw the wooden Apex darts at this stage .

As Bob stated above , your darts should be balanced if your looking for accuracy , and , the same weight .

I do have a lot of tungsten rods at the house though if you need it . Former penetrating rounds from 20 and 30mm guns . You don't need diamond files for tungsten btw . :)

Last edited:
Guys, I've never machined tungsten before but my understanding is that it requires rigidity and sharp tools because it is hard to machine, which usually means inserted carbide tools. I would imagine creating precise duplicates would require a CNC lathe as well because form tools is not going to be an option on a home shop machine.

So, my question is how would you make multiples of something like this? I actually don't know.

CNC lathe , contour cycle . Mike , tungsten actually machines very nicely with sharp carbide tooling . I made 1000s of rounds out it . Made a major process improvement that saved the company a boat load of $$$$ , got a free dinner for the family and I out of it .:) I still have a lot of the blanks at home , I saved them because I made boring bars out of a lot of them . They make a good chatterless boring bars being so darn heavy ! :grin:

On a home machine , I would rig up a radius turner and cut the bottom forms of dart and then blend with a ground corner rounding EM . Not perfect by any means . A cnc would knock this job out in less than a minute .

I can't see this being a " throwing " dart either , so I don't know what exactly he's making it for .

He also does not state that the point is screwed in or this is a solid machined tungsten tip . That would make it a whole new ballgame .

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I would think a CNC lathe would make short work of this and would be able to make precise duplicates. I can even see how you might make one of them once with the tools you mentioned. However, making multiples that are precisely the same ... that would be really tricky. My solution would be to buy them!

You got that right ! He could have them made at a good price , but the material may be a tad expensive . If he is making a " set " as he said , heck maybe $120 from a smaller shop . :) I still prefer the wooden Apex though , easy on the old shoulder :grin:

Remember these ? Those 20mm warheads were machined out of tungsten . :)

So in my miss-spent youth I actually played a lot of darts the world of darts has changed a bit . Throwing darts are now made from steel, brass and tungsten alloy ( usually 80%- 90%). There are two types now, one a soft tip variety played on electronic boards that actually keep score for you and the more traditional steel steel tip type played on a brissel board. Today many are a three part construction an aluminum or plastic shaft, the barrel steel, brass, or tungsten and plastic or steel tips steel tips may be fixed(pressed in) or screwed in. The weight s usually range from about 14g-28g and are thin 6-8mm and roughly 50mm long.
Here is a you tube or the two types and games

12:20

INCREDIBLE DARTS! Michael van Gerwen v Gary Anderson, 2015 German Darts Championship (HD)
4 years ago
youtube.com

1:02:30

【Hong Kong VS USA】 SOFT DARTS WORLD CUP 2016 -FINAL MATCH-
2 years ago
youtube.com

Just watched the videos . Interesting . You could easily machine the darts as they have them on the website . Much easier than contouring the grooves . I spent many hours playing in dart leagues in Balto . We sure didn't have that kind of audience though ........................mostly cheap beer patrons ! :grin: You planning on splitting the rear end for the flyers also ?

Back