Looking for a set of files

@mmcmdl I original took this project on as a "can I do it it thing" but after battering the design around with the guy decided that the scallops weren't a good design and came up with a more machining friendly design.

I had to modify my knurls a bit and am making a grooving tool. I won't be doing any thing with the shafts that hold the flights they are screw(2ba) in attachments as are the tips and cheap. They say that darts are only second to football i.e. soccer in Europe. I think it is so popular because the people
generally have their roots as average joes bartenders, plumbers etc. not professional athletes.

Have you seen that "Free Hand" tooling cutter settup that uses a heavy tool holder that slides over a flat plate that has multiple alignment holes evenly spaced over the entire surface? Hopefully someone knows what im talking about and will post the video or other info.
Anyway with this setup you can follow a premade pattern free hand in a very stable and pretty precise way that would be a perfect option to make these dart bodies.

If i find the link i to that setup i will post it for you.

Heres a link... Maybe you can come up with your own design for something similar to work for you.

Last edited:
I actually remember seeing this now that you posted the vid that is very cool I need one, on the flip side it would not to too outrageous to actually make one . THANKS

Yup and with one of the darts you already made as a "trace" form you should be able to bang out set after set of very very close copies that would need very minimal balance tuning if any. Whatever your choice I am interested in the outcome.

Just as a side note if anyone is interested check out dart leagues and bars in your area there is a demand for custom made darts. It may provide you with some pocket change, you may have to get involved enough that you understand a little about the sport.

Just as a side note if anyone is interested check out dart leagues and bars in your area there is a demand for custom made darts. It may provide you with some pocket change, you may have to get involved enough that you understand a little about the sport.

Nice idea. Since getting the big iron in operation last fall, I've had requests from friends to make ceramics tools, safety razor handles, long-spinning tops ... they're all pretty fun little projects, as would be darts. Dunno about working with tungsten though.

EDIT: the top project is still in the prototype stage, but for those interested the really wild stuff looks like this. Wonder if there's a similar page for darts?

I have tungsten blanks if you can use them . I made boring bars out of a lot of them , but I have plenty on hand .

Can't find the original thread ,but I have the tungsten . I am blue collar and shot darts in the past . Average in baseball was 39-42 depending on BAC ,
Pic of what hangs on the basement wall . 80's Dart Shart with Apex darts :) Posting the tungsten now .

IMG_0087.JPG

Back