Looking For A Special Fastener

olcopper

Registered
Registered
I want to insulate my shop with rigid foam insulation--(got some at a heckuva good deal) the sides are metal siding and I'm looking for a way to fasten the insulation to the inside of the metal. At one time I think I remember a drill a hole and push through type fastener, and it had a slip over washer to hold the insulation up. You drill a hole in the metal side, push the fastener through the hole and insulation and put a friction catch type washer on the fastener, and break off the excess fastener material. The fastener is about 1/8 or 3/16"--or something close
This is similar to how some concrete forming is done, but, I need it for insulation and it needs to be a permanent installation.
Anyone seen this or similar and could furnish the name of the fastener-----or is this a figment of my imagination?
Thanks,
olcopper

I already tried that idea, didn't work for me----- since I live in South Georgia, and the temps in the summer are frequently over 100o F, I think the sxpansion and contraction just break the glue joint-----sides already have a number of holes in them, they were a roof in their former life, couldn't believe they were an exact match for the roof, and, I got them for free!
Have you closed on your property yet? from your description of it, it sounded like heaven on earth, but, I can understand your wanting to be near your family. Arkansas has some beautiful areas, and some of the terrain is pretty rough---I took my Father-in-Law with me on a business trip once to the Hot Springs area, we were riding down the Interstate looking at where they had blasted out rock for the highway----I asked him "Can you see how anyone ever got here with an oxcart or a mule and wagon----and his reply was, "no, I can't, and why the hell did any of 'em stay after they got here"?---But, then I showed him Hot Springs and the lakes and the rice fields
and all the farms with fields that ran over the horizion and he warmed up to it. It' s a beautiful state.
olcopper

You can probably get them locally but you can see insulation hanger studs on the McMaster Carr site.

If your panels are "R" panel, rip some treated lumber narrow enough to slip in between the highs and the purlins.
Then use furing strips and screws.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I would use construction or panel adhesive, and or the wood strips noted above by jpfabricator. There can be issues of condensation from the outside metal and on some panels there is an orientation as to which side should face the exterior. If the foam is not faced, you may want an air gap between the metal and the panel to allow condensation so it does not soak the panels. I often call the supplier or the company that sells the materials and see what they recommend, but I do not think it is a good idea to pierce the outside metal siding to attach the panels.

I think the sxpansion and contraction just break the glue joint-----
Depends if you use the rite adhesive they make some good ones now,
holes in siding expand and contract and then leek and they look funny,
my next shop ain't gona have holes not needed in it

Back