Looking for a specialized wrench

The draw bar on my "new" Pratt & Whitney 3C mill has a big nut on the end for tightening. It is big....1+11/16ths and I am looking for a wrench to use on it. What I envision is not a big old heavy wrench but one made of flat steel with a round head and the 6 point openning....something relatively light-weight. Something like the one in this pic but hopefully just one-ended, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. Ot looking fir a socket. Anyone have any suggestions?

20181001_165415.jpg

The draw bar on my "new" Pratt & Whitney 3C mill has a big nut on the end for tightening. It is big....1+11/16ths and I am looking for a wrench to use on it. What I envision is not a big old heavy wrench but one made of flat steel with a round head and the 6 point openning....something relatively light-weight. Something like the one in this pic but hopefully just one-ended, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. Ot looking fir a socket. Anyone have any suggestions?
Pretty easy to make on a milling machine. First, drill a small hole (~1/8") at each corner of the hex for clearance, and then mill out the hex shape. Shape the outside dimensions any way you want.

The wrench could easily be made on a mill with an RT. Cut a disk to the O.D. Set the center of the wrench opening at the center of the RT. Move the table over to cut one flat and rotate 60º to cut the next. The start and end points of the cuts could be marked with layout fluid or you can calculate where they will be and cut by the dial or DRO. You could also pre-drill the corners. Clean up the corners or mill a relief pocket to finish Weld a handle on to complete.

No RT? Drill the center hole for as large a bolt and nut as you can. Tighten the bolt & nut. Place the nut in your milling vise a stop to locate it and clamp the woerk to prevent rotation. Cut two opposite flats. Rotate 60º and cut two more. Another rotation and cut the final two. Clean up as described before and weld a handle on to complete.

Last edited:
Building one is great. I did that for my quick change tool post wrench. Nice and short for it's wrench size. Hangs on a hook above my lathe
within easy reach.
Other thing you could do is buy a cheap impact socket and cut the end off and weld a handle on.

Other thing you could do is buy a cheap impact socket and cut the end off and weld a handle on.[/QUOTE said:
I worked nights as a diesel mechanic for a few years before moving to days. Snap-On sold a specialty wrench for removing the bolts on the fan hub or the water pump (can't remember which) on a Cummins engine. Well... rather than pay the high dollar for the wrench, I would make one. Bought a 3/4" Snap-On socket and one night took it to the machine shop (machinists all gone home by this time) and proceeded to cut it off in the horizontal band saw. I have to say, Snap-On has good chrome... oh it eventually cut it off, along with taking all the teeth off the band saw blade. Went back to the truck shop, fashioned the handle, welded it to the cut off socket and had me a clone Snap-On Cummins tool.

Point is...... don't cut off chrome sockets on a band saw.
Next day... I was told... the machine shop foreman was over at the truck shop lookin' for whoever it was that left all the chrome shavings in the bandsaw. Nobody knew anything.

Back