Looking for a specialized wrench

The draw bar on my "new" Pratt & Whitney 3C mill has a big nut on the end for tightening. It is big....1+11/16ths and I am looking for a wrench to use on it. What I envision is not a big old heavy wrench but one made of flat steel with a round head and the 6 point openning....something relatively light-weight. Something like the one in this pic but hopefully just one-ended, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. Ot looking fir a socket. Anyone have any suggestions?

20181001_165415.jpg

It doesn't take any more torque to secure a big end mill holder than it does for a small one. Besides that, the size of the flats has nothing to do with the torque. It would be easier to find a commercial made 1-1/2" box end wrench instead of 1-11/16".

I think Keith Fenner did a video on making just they sort of spanner you want. I'd bribe a high school kid with some free burgers to make a CAD file for me and send out to get waterjet cut or make one using whatever tools you have to hand. At a minimum you'd need a drill, a hacksaw and a file but might take a while.

Looks good. Love going to the swap meets at these shows. Going to a local one tomorrow to see what I can find.

I blew it on a set of R8 collets. Saw them early and didnt want to carry them around and the whole box was gone when I went back. Didn't think machine tools were a hit commodity at a car flea market. But it when you see it!!

The draw bar on my "new" Pratt & Whitney 3C mill has a big nut on the end for tightening. It is big....1+11/16ths and I am looking for a wrench to use on it. What I envision is not a big old heavy wrench but one made of flat steel with a round head and the 6 point openning....something relatively light-weight. Something like the one in this pic but hopefully just one-ended, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. Ot looking fir a socket. Anyone have any suggestions?
I would try getting a deep 1 11/16" impact socket and weld a flat bar handle to the od of the non drive end and then cut off as much of the socket that you would like. Using a deep socket leaves you with a usable socket after you have cut off the amount you want for your wrench. Impact sockets are easier to weld onto the chrome plated standard sockets.

Back