Looking for a Teacher in NYC...

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've posted a number of times, just getting started with my Logan 820. At this point, I'm looking for someone in NYC whom I can spend some time with in my shop to help me get started, and for me to spend a few hours with in his/her shop so I can see the work happening and ask questions. I've gotten into this to advance my vintage fountain pen restoration hobby/business, so expect to be doing most of my work in acrylics and ebonite, but am also very interested in working with steel for other projects not related to pen work.

Specifically, I'm at a mini decision point: the lathe came with a lot of tooling, much of which is not useful to me at the beginning. This includes a QCTP that fits the compound for 1/4" bits, but I learned that it does not fit my compound for 3/8" bits after purchasing a nice set of 3/8" carbide bits. I got the 3/8" set because I'd like to get cutting while I learn how to grind my own 3/8" HSS tools, which I'm starting to do. So the upshot is that I have all these 1/4" holders and a few 1/4" bits that I can hone and use (all of which came with the lathe) but no ability to use 3/8" bits that I'll be making or the 3/8" carbide I bought. The options I'd like to discuss, among others, with this person, are a) getting 1/8" machined off my QCTP or b) purchasing one that fits, like the one the Logan Actuator sells (the other good ones are very expensive, and I'd rather not go there if I can help it; and, they need the t-nut machined too; Logan provides it machined.)

So, if you're in NYC and have a bit of space in your life that you can talk to this newbie and perhaps come to my shop, please let me know? I'd be happy to compensate you for the time, either in cash or time at the neighborhood pub.

Many thanks,
Tim

It sounds like you have the right approach to this. A mentor or several can show you lots of things that are not obvious from watching YouTube machining videos. As for the tool post, it sounds like the one on the lathe is too big for it. Yes, you can cut the bottom of the tool post down, or you can cut the bottom of the brazed carbide tool shanks down where they fit in the tool post holders. You can also cut the bottom of a holder down to achieve the same thing. The steel on those carbide tipped bits is not too hard to machine, just ordinary steel. You will not be able to do that with HSS tools, too hard unless you grind them down, and hand grinding them will leave a rough and uneven surface.

Back