Looking for advice, evilBay junk carbide boring bar

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wondering if what I received is even usable. I showed some pictures in: what did you buy today thread

In the return negotiation phase with the seller. Basically, what I received is not what was listed. It is a 6mm carbide boring bar, but it appears different from the listing photos. Not even the same (Chinese) brand. Definitely inferior to what was listed.

First offer was $4 refund. I refused. Last night's offer was $10 refund. I'm wondering if I should bargain for a greater discount or demand a total refund. The tool looks a lot weaker than what was shown in the original listing photos. The steel part is longer and a little strangely formed. The brazing is mostly ok on the top side, but there's a bubble or small gap in the braze joint on the back where the carbide is attached to the steel. My current position is I want either the tool that was listed and pictured, or a complete and full refund. I spent about $28 on it. Currently thinking that even if I was offered $14 (1/2 price), it's not worth it as a boring bar. (It might be worth $14 for the carbide?) Don't want to get stiffed on paying a lot of $$$ to ship it back to China, as my shipping costs are not subsidized.

Any advice on this? (Besides stay off evil Bay ;) ) I would like to answer back tonight.

Take nothing less than full refund.

Simple insure you are using eBay communication tools and stand on the not as described rule.

The seller created the problem and it is his problem to fix, period.

Do not accept any partial refund as he still gets credit for a good transaction.

Be sure to note his feedback to reflect this.

And do not pay to ship it back, remember, the seller created this problem.

He can send a shipping label or instruct you to dispose of the item.

Ebay should reverse the charges anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Take nothing less than full refund.

Simple insure you are using eBay communication tools and stand on the not as described rule.

The seller created the problem and it is his problem to fix, period.

Do not accept any partial refund as he still gets credit for a good transaction.

Be sure to note his feedback to reflect this.

And do not pay to ship it back, remember, the seller created this problem.

He can send a shipping label or instruct you to dispose of the item.

Ebay should reverse the charges anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. Really don't think the bar would be serviceable for very long. I will continue on the full refund and not as described track. Just got to wait it out.

Agree with tq60. You should get all your money back. If they don't refund the full
amount, file a claim with eBay.

Was the part shipped from a US supplier, or did it come out of China?

Agree with tq60. You should get all your money back. If they don't refund the full
amount, file a claim with eBay.

Was the part shipped from a US supplier, or did it come out of China?
Pretty sure it came out of China. But the shipping bag has a return address cs@orangeconnex.com in Inwood, NY. I think orangeconnex is just a shipping company used by Chinese suppliers. I have had stuff from China come through orangeconnex before.

Thanks for the advice. Really don't think the bar would be serviceable for very long. I will continue on the full refund and not as described track. Just got to wait it out.

Just don't wait too long. Most complaints have to be lodged with eBay within 30 days. Lots of unscrupulous vendors try to keep a conversation going beyond the 30 day mark so that you can't file a complaint with eBay.

I had an incident a few years ago where an offshore vendor tried everything in the book to keep the conversation going beyond the 30 day mark. At the end of 3 weeks I just told him I was done and was filing a complaint. It only took 1 day beyond that point to resolve the issue. In this case they sent me a replacement tool, and didn't want the original returned.

That's one of the reasons I now check the box "US Only" for location of the product. The vendors might be from foreign countries, but if they have a location in this country they are subject to our laws. If there's no physical presence in this country you have little chance of recovering your money or getting the product replaced.

I recall an incident some 50 years ago when I took a vendor to small claims court. Even though I won the case I was told by the judge "Don't get your hopes up as far as being reimbursed is concerned". If the defendant is local you have about an 80% chance of recovering your money, If they're out of state, but still in this country it's about a 50% chance, if they're from out of the country you have less than a 10% chance of recovering your money. In this particular incident the company was from out of state, but still in the US. I'm still waiting for my money to be returned.

Last edited:
They are a logistics company and thus your vendor apparently has no presence in the US.

I ran into a somewhat similar situation last May with an eBay order. The tracking was tied to a company
called ZNLOGIC. When I researched them, I couldn't determine if they were legit or not, but fortunately
I didn't get scammed and the part showed up in a couple of days. It was shipped from Amazon. They were certainly Chinese,
but what their role in the order was I never determined. I suspect that their role was to place the order from the US
for their Chinese customer.

Last edited:
They are a logistics company and thus your vendor apparently has no presence in the US.

I ran into a somewhat similar situation last May with an eBay order. The tracking was tied to a company
called ZNLOGIC. When I researched them, I couldn't determine if they were legit or not, but fortunately
I didn't get scammed and the part showed up in a couple of days. It was shipped from Amazon. They were certainly were Chinese,
but what their role in the order was I never determined. It's possible that their role was to place the order from the US
for their Chinese customer.
Not surprised. I have received Aliexpress items via orange-connex, and I know the items were ordered from China.

This is the first item I have received from eBay that doesn't match the listing photos. Well, just have to plod through this.

The back and forth continues. They've offered a refund of 15 USD. ($28 initial price) My counter-offer, which is the same as what I have said before, is either full refund, or the tool that was photographed in the listing. It would appear they may have copied the photo from someone else's listing. Brand of the tool I received does not match what is in photo. (Label color scheme is totally different too!) I will wait for their response (tonight). If not satisfactory, then I go direct to eBay to intervene. I have been more than patient.

They were off for a day. Was offered a refund of $20 USD. I just want a decent tool. What a pain. Even at $8, it is a crummy tool, and I have no confidence it will hold up for any boring. Didn't buy it to hang on a wall. Bought it to use it. Going to eBay to intervene now.

Back