Looking for advice on a new mill

Scott Crist

Registered
Registered
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help. First I am new and definately limited on my knowledge of mills and machining , I am thinking about buying a PM-950V. I currently have a 25yr old harbor freight bench top. Believe it or not it almost does what I need but it's very loose and starting to wear out. I can't seem to find any "parallelism " specs (if that's a thing)on the Matthews brand. So I'm not sure how to compare it to others. I dont do any tight tolerance work, but if I'm going to spend that much without being able to see it I guess I am looking for a little reassurance that it's not a POS. Thanks again for any suggestions

I feel your pain about buying something expensive without having a lot of experience at it. I really had a hard time spending that much money without being able to touch it first.
I went with p.m. strictly off of Internet recommendations that they had excellent customer service and good products. The Internet did not lie to me about that. I have nothing but praise for their customer service or equipment .

I had outgrown a small atlas Lathe and decided to buy the biggest p.m. available at that time a PM 1440 GT made in Taiwan.

One year later I made the same decision to buy the biggest mill they offer a PM 1054 TV again made in Taiwan

I also bought a lot of accessories from them. My thinking was if I buy the accessories and the machine from the same company the machine people cannot point the finger at the accessory people if I have a problem with accessories working with their machine.

18 months down the road I am very happy and would do it all again.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Precision Matthews has an excellent reputation, lots of happy customers and they chime in on here often.

Just for giggles I did a Goggle maps search and found they're only 4 hours from you. Why not pay them a visit and get your questions answered in person? Just a thought....

Cheers,

John

Scott, does WFOB still cover that part of NW Ohio? I spent my first 20 years in Lucas and Ottawa counties.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about PM machines. I have one mill and one lathe from them. no complaints, whatever.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Precision Matthews has an excellent reputation, lots of happy customers and they chime in on here often.

Just for giggles I did a Goggle maps search and found they're only 4 hours from you. Why not pay them a visit and get your questions answered in person? Just a thought....

Cheers,

John
Hi John, Thanks for the welcome. Actually the first time I have ever posted or got on a forum it's amazing what the fear of losing money will do. I called them yesterday and they said they are in stock but they don't have a showroom. He suggested this forum and looking on the internet.

Scott, does WFOB still cover that part of NW Ohio? I spent my first 20 years in Lucas and Ottawa counties.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about PM machines. I have one mill and one lathe from them. no complaints, whatever.
Hello T, gonna show my ignorance here, I dont know what WFOB is. Closest place I can find is Willis in Toledo but even though they look similar ( I realize that doesn't always matter) they are double the price.

Maybe this radio station?

I feel your pain about buying something expensive without having a lot of experience at it. I really had a hard time spending that much money without being able to touch it first.
I went with p.m. strictly off of Internet recommendations that they had excellent customer service and good products. The Internet did not lie to me about that. I have nothing but praise for their customer service or equipment .

I had outgrown a small atlas Lathe and decided to buy the biggest p.m. available at that time a PM 1440 GT made in Taiwan.

One year later I made the same decision to buy the biggest mill they offer a PM 1054 TV again made in Taiwan

I also bought a lot of accessories from them. My thinking was if I buy the accessories and the machine from the same company the machine people cannot point the finger at the accessory people if I have a problem with accessories working with their machine.

18 months down the road I am very happy and would do it all again.
Thanks Z, it's good to know they will hopefully stand behind things if there is an issue. I dont use my current mill often but when I need it, I need it you know. I doubt I will ever wear it out as long as it is of reasonable quality. I appreciate your feedback
Scott

Scott:
I have a PM 935 TS mill that I bought in April. I am very happy with the 935 TS. I came from a Enco clone of the RF30 with a round column. I really like the knee mill. I live in Northfield, Ohio. I am about 2 1/2 hours away from you. If you want to stop by you can take a look at my mill and see what your thoughts are.

Thanks
Roger L

You'll get better quality and accuracy if you buy one of their Taiwan machines (has a 'T' in the model number). I have two of Matt's machines, both Taiwan made, and couldn't be happier from a quality/accuracy perspective. Just my $0.02

Back