Looking for advice on a small (ish) mill

Nix the WD40 and use PB Blaster instead. For this type of application it will do a much better job of penetrating, loosening and lubricating.
Totally agree, I'm a huge fan of ob blaster and Kroil for this type of stuff, but I ran out last week in the shop, and wd was all I had. Should be getting more today. Always appreciate the help!

Does that computer have USB ports? You could copy everything to a thumb drive
Mark

I SO hoped that! This computer was made before USB was twinkle in Ajay Bhatt's eye...
Yep, I figured as much. Write down or photograph any configuration pages you can get to in the DOS program, then figure out how to clone that drive.

Or, don't worry about it as you'll be retrofitting everything anyway;)

John

Oh darn. I thought I spotted some on the front panel- rats

So Im pricing a full setup to completely update the electronics. Motors, drivers, control boards, power supplies etc... I'm a newb so if I come across as dumb.... I am.

The motors on it are 2.1v 8amp motors with a holding torque of 840 Oz in. I'm looking at setups that have 1600 oz in of holding torque, with 5v at 6 (ish) amps. The motors themselves look smaller, but torque is torque. There is no reason those motors wouldn't do well right? If someone asked me that, I would say "absolutely they're fine", but where I'll be coughing up actual money, I want to be sure. Also I plan on removing one to check the what shaft these have so I can replace it correctly.

This is the setup I'm thinking. Give me thoughts, opinions, disclaimers.....

3 1600 oz in (possibly 1841 nema 34, price is similar) stepper motors with drivers as a package deal. 6.2 amp

3 Power supplies: 60v 8amp

6-axis USB ethernet control board compatible with. Mach 3

I want to get Mach 4, will it be compatible with that control board? I don't know why it wouldn't be. Just covering bases.

Brett

So Im pricing a full setup to completely update the electronics. Motors, drivers, control boards, power supplies etc... I'm a newb so if I come across as dumb.... I am.

The motors on it are 2.1v 8amp motors with a holding torque of 840 Oz in. I'm looking at setups that have 1600 oz in of holding torque, with 5v at 6 (ish) amps. The motors themselves look smaller, but torque is torque. There is no reason those motors wouldn't do well right? If someone asked me that, I would say "absolutely they're fine", but where I'll be coughing up actual money, I want to be sure. Also I plan on removing one to check the what shaft these have so I can replace it correctly.

This is the setup I'm thinking. Give me thoughts, opinions, disclaimers.....

3 1600 oz in (possibly 1841 nema 34, price is similar) stepper motors with drivers as a package deal. 6.2 amp

3 Power supplies: 60v 8amp

6-axis USB ethernet control board compatible with. Mach 3

I want to get Mach 4, will it be compatible with that control board? I don't know why it wouldn't be. Just covering bases.

Brett

I'm far from an expert but why change the motors? I doubt Bridgeport undersized them from the factory and as you pointed out they are the most expensive piece. Also they're steppers already, right? So no advantage in changing to bigger steppers if you don't need the power to make your cuts.

A new control board and drivers are going to make life easier but check the power supplies you already have, most of the modern stuff operates in a range of voltages so if the power supplies on the machine will work there's also no advantage to replacing them.

The exception would be if someone has already engineered a complete system that will bolt right up, then it might be worth replacing everything. However, with that fine old iron Bridgeport probably supplied some fine old electrical components as well. Getting pieces that are as high quality as what's on there could be prohibitively expensive. Taking the time to evaluate what you already have is just a matter of spending a few hours with a meter and a pencil.

As for the control board I can't really say without a part number. Lots of folks seem to be happy with the Mesa Electronics stuff, they're here in the states so I would give them a call. They've probably helped people with your exact mill and can steer you in the right direction with all the components they have.

Cheers,

John

Alright... Lots of good updates! It works! The cnc controls, motors, everything works..... I lifted the mill up again and built a tough pallet for it. 3/4 cdx plywood on top of a pallet built for concrete bag mix. Tough. Then strapped the mill to it. Now I can drive it in the shop when I want to work on it, and go put it in the shed when I need the space to do repairs (again, I run an atv/small engine shop). I'm building another building eventually to house this, and it'll have a permanent spot, but that won't be for probably 6 months. I put power to everything but the 3 phase motor, and it all works. I de-chipped the table. And got the knee unstuck tonight found out the key on the knee crank clutch is sheared, and the actual clutch is cracked. But we'll address that another time. Got the spindle un-stuck, and can move the table x and y full length... It's awesome! I think I'll do a pmdx-424 control board, and use the existing drivers....

Attachments

• 20190705_143312.jpg
    20190705_143312.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 34
Great news!

Don't fix what's already working, if you can get away with just a new control board you're miles ahead in having a working machine.

John

So we have all the heavy rust off the table. But this is what I'm fighting now... I can't get the spindle nut off! I have a few questions if you guys know...
A: what spindle is this? (my guess is bt30?)
B: it's holding an ER chuck, and that comes off, but the main black nut (knurled) will not budge.

It's been soaking in pb blaster, and I've put a spanner on it, put the spindle brake on and pulled. And hit the spanner, but without going nuts, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I've been in touch with kennametal, and they said it should have 3 locking screws and you do things with them st certain points to lock this thing, but all the threads don't have bolts. Just half full of dust and junk. They finally said "use force to unlock it"....

Before I start going heavy duty trying to loosen it up, am I missing something simple?

Brett

Attachments

• 20190709_104623.jpg
    20190709_104623.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190709_104615.jpg
    20190709_104615.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190709_104604.jpg
    20190709_104604.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190709_104558.jpg